Ipomoeas ID'd by Oron as Ipomoea tricolor and Ipomoea indica

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Ipomoeas ID'd by Oron as Ipomoea tricolor and Ipomoea indica
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »
The first (pink) I grew from seed. It produced fertile seed last year which this plant came from. This plant has in turn produced lots of seed. The original plant died as winter came on. Annual or I didn't look after it properly?

The second (blue) came from a cutting I took this year. It has only just produced its first flower but the plant I took the cutting from was in flower in June. Hoping this might be a perennial as I don't think I will get seed this year (even if I do, it might be an infertile hybrid).

Any ideas welcome. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:28:43 PM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Ipomeas for identification please
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 11:33:38 AM »
David,
The first is Ipomea tricolor which is an easy growing annual.
The second is Ipomea indica, a monster impossible to control in any sized garden...
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Ipomeas for identification please
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »
Thanks Oron. And thanks too for the warning about I indica. It will be in a pot and there will be no chance of its stems reaching soil so I should be able to contain it. Seems it doesn't set seed easily unless there is a plant of the opposite sex around which also has to be genetically distant from it. Little chance of that on my balcony.

It certainly is invasive around Naples but is beautiful nevertheless.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.