Ladybirds

• 2 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Ladybirds
« on: November 03, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »
I see the last post in this are was entitled " Invasion of Privacy" well in my area of Italy are experiencing an invasion of ladybirds this autumn. I have noticed them everywhere and opening any window that has been shut for some time reveals hundreds. They are also attracted to washing hanging on the line. Visiting some friends who had arrived at their house only the day before after it had been shut up for some time, we heard they had also been met by ladybird "squatters" and as we ate supper they were constantly flying about.
Anyone else experiencing this?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Ladybirds
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 11:05:59 AM »
Carole, are these the so-called Harlequin ladybirds which for the last few years in autumn do swarm around potential hibernation places (sheds, woodpiles, houses) in the UK?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Ladybirds
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 04:36:44 PM »
Shall have to investigate Alisdair - am out in the car sitting on a ridge where I can get a good internet connection so have neither "ladybirds" or books to hand.....
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.