Convolvulus Hawk moth caterpillar?

• 0 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Convolvulus Hawk moth caterpillar?
« on: October 05, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »
Looking at the photos below you might be forgiven for thinking that I have put this in the "friend" category by mistake and that "foe" might have been more appropriate. I saw a small grey caterpillar on my Ipomea about a week ago and thought it was a young Convolvulus Hawkmoth. I didn't really check it out properly. Thinking it would be nice to see the moth one day, I let it be. Several more leaves disappeared as did several seeds but I never saw the caterpillar again.

Either this caterpillar likes a variety of food stuff or it doesn't like Ipomea as a convolvulus substitute and is shopping around until it finds something it does.

I still haven't seen that or any other caterpillar since. Nor any other pest either. Just the evidence below.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.