Fruit/Veg of the day

• 159 Replies

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2020, 04:39:26 PM »
Our persimmon are beginning to ripen, though personally I don't like them.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2020, 07:32:24 AM »
Same here John - the birds enjoy them though. 😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2020, 08:41:04 AM »
The birds here don't seem to care for them either, they prefer our guavas and pomegranates, which is annoying because those I do like.  >:(
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2020, 07:34:41 AM »
Very strange - this year several of my pomegranates  split open on the tree but the birds don't bother with them....
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2021, 07:38:12 AM »
I love this wonderful custom we have here in our village.  It has been going on for years. It is the exchange of vegetables and fruits grown in our gardens/yards.  The things that are mostly grow this time of the year are Aubergines, peppers, chilies and courgettes.  The courgette flowers are the most sought after as they are used for light lunch.  The flowers are sold in bunches in the shops. They are filled with rice, grated carrots, zuchini and mint and then either cooked on the hob or steamed.  I was presented with a bunch this morning by my Syrian friend,  and also with some veg. In exchange he got a good morning , a thank you and a happy smile.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 11:33:13 AM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2021, 02:29:06 AM »
My sisters came up from Melbourne to pick olives - we managed about half the crop before they had to leave (with lunch in between!).
They tell me that it came to 17 kilos.
They also collected a few pomegranates and medlars
cheers
fermi                             
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2021, 07:55:56 PM »
Hi Fermi. What are you going to do with your olives? 

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2021, 06:29:27 AM »
Hi Fermi. What are you going to do with your olives?
We're not doing anything!
My sisters have the harvest and are going to preserve them in different ways. They just tried some that a Greek friend preserved in rock salt which they decided were very good and not as onerous to prepare! We'll get a few jars returned to us. We'll look for rock salt to try with our remaining olives.
What sort of preserving do you do, Charithea?
cheers
fermi

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2021, 08:51:34 AM »
When I lived in Cairo , the olives were disappointing. One type, prepared in one way and take it or leave it. The link here takes you to a list of the main varieties in Italy. And this is before we even think about how to prepare them.

https://www.eataly.com/us_en/magazine/how-to/a-guide-to-olive-cultivars/
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2021, 02:56:26 PM »
Rock salt has been the customary way of preserving olives here too as long as I remember Fermi.  Preserved olives were a must in every household to have around for the 'fasting periods'.  My mother and her younger sister were very strickt  on what was permitable  to eat during those  religious periods. My sister,  who is now 83, has been doing the family olive preserving.  I have been the 'monkey' on the olive trees to reach the shiny olives. My sister does some with the rock sold to use them for making olive bread, the others pickled in vinegar, my preferred olives, and the other traditional way of selecting fresh green olives, hitting them with a stone, keeping  them in water for about 7-10 days, changing the water every day  to get rid of the bitterness and then in brine. They are served with lemon, oil, garlic and dried coriander.  Last October she taught our London born and bred nephew how to cure his olives.

Charithea

« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2021, 03:01:56 PM »
David, I like Italian olives very much. We were in Bologna for my sister's 80th birthday and her husband insisted on buying and trying out the Italian olives. He said they tasted better then ours. He also likes Kalamata olives. I was always instructed to bring back olives for him on our trips to Greece.

Charithea

« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2021, 03:20:52 PM »
Some of our vegetables. They are not plentiful like in most vegetable gardens but I am happy with what we have.  Grown from seed.  Australian beet, Cyprus tomatoes, Florence fennel, hot peppers and oregano bought in a small pot from the village nursery.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2021, 02:23:52 AM »
The latest crop to be harvested is broccoli!
Not huge heads but enough for a meal,
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2021, 12:51:30 PM »
Best like that- small- enjoy! Tomato season here but Blackbirds causing havoc 🙄

Charithea

« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2021, 03:55:46 PM »
Firmi the broccoli we grow in Cyprus is  normally  greeen or slightly greyish. I like the purple colour. We managed to grow some a few years.  The flower heads were not nice and compact like yours. It seems here that the climate is best suited for zucchini , large marrows and aubergines.