Fruit/Veg of the day

• 159 Replies

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2018, 09:41:41 AM »
This year we thought we would experiment with growing sweet potatoes. I dug these up this morning.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2018, 07:54:24 AM »
Very impressive! (wish I liked the taste as much as "real" potatoes)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Caroline

« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »
The trick is not to think of them as potatoes, which I suspect is how they are treated in the UK.  I like kumara (i.e. sweet potatoes)  in a 50/50 mash with potato and lots of garlic, around a roast of lamb, or BBQed.  For the latter, boil in their skins, then cut into slices and char-grill with a little olive oil.  Delicious.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Hilary

« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2020, 07:24:13 AM »
Asparagus officinalis, ESPARRAGO, ΣΠΑΡΑΓΓΙ

This plant was in the area of the Royal Botanic Garden, Madrid where there were examples of plants grown for commercial reasons.

I don't think there is an article in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN mentioning this kind of Asparagus but while searching I came across this  article which will interest those  who want to grow fruit and vegetables
SYNERGISTIC GARDENING(PARTII) by Jenny Bussey
THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 8, Spring  1997
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2020, 10:47:10 AM »
Hilary, Here in Sussex we picked our first asparagus of the year yesterday, for supper last night. We're having an unseasonable warm spell - warmer here at the moment than Greece! - and it's suddenly shot up just in the last very few days; it's starting two or three weeks earlier than usual.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2020, 12:15:47 PM »
ΚΑΛΗ ΟΡΕΞΗ
MGS member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2020, 03:35:05 PM »
Thanks, Hilary; they were delicious! Here's today's crop, which went to our neighbour Derek
Alisdair Aird

Hilary

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day Strawberries
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2020, 05:32:56 AM »
Strawberries, Fragaria x ananassa

Strawberries are in season, at last some variation in the five a day fruit

My mother sent me the kit for the tapestry cushion cover as a birthday present, I kept seeing adverts for these kits in magazines and fancied making at least one.

The nursery rhyme is from my children's second hand book of rhymes. I am sure the girls nowadays don't mind washing the dishes and would rather be looking after the pigs than sit at home sewing, sewing, sewing.

Strawberries are mentioned in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 89, July 2017
A VISIT TO SOUTH AFRICA, PART 2:
PRIVATE AND COMMUNITY GARDENS by Valerie Whittington
MGS member

John J

« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2020, 07:06:25 AM »
From a purely negative point of view I don't think she'd stay healthy and maintain that figure on the diet prescribed. She'd probably end up diabetic and fat, with all that sugar and cream, and no exercise.  :(
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Charithea

« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2020, 10:23:26 AM »
Our strawberry season is already over. I love your embroidery. I have a patern which includes spring flowers and the Crupina crupinastrum is in it. I intend to do it Sometime when I have time to relax. I used to  do  'Lefkara lace'  during the siesta hours,  as a form of  enforced rest from long distance running in my younger years but now my fingers are not longer nimble I stick to easier things.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2020, 04:12:22 PM »
For those who are interested in embroidery there is a short YouTube film in English called Lefkara lace and the same one in Greek called LEFKARITIKO KENTIMA

Among my mother-in-law's things there was this tablecloth embroidered with what looks like a simple version of Lefkara lace

I use the tablecloth once or twice a year on high days and holidays
MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2020, 01:16:31 PM »
Finally our Physalis peruviana are ripe enough to eat.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2020, 07:59:38 AM »
Standing in to do watering of pots  at a friend's house brought the added job of harvesting Redcurrants - 5lbs from just two bushes. I used to have both red and black currents in my former large garden but never had a crop like this in nearly 20 years🤔
I think the spell of very wet weather we had in late May/early June helped to swell the berries.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2020, 03:33:58 PM »
Wow!  What are you going to do with all these fruit? They vines are always available in the nurseries in the early spring  but I learnt the hard way and no longer buy them.  They do well up on the mountain villages.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2020, 07:44:29 AM »
At the moment they are in the freezer because as I said they came from a friend's bushes. I shall no doubt be given some and so perhaps some Jelly making in on the horizon!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.