Fruit/Veg of the day

• 159 Replies

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2016, 08:25:37 AM »
Not a bad crop on our Medlar tree this year despite the lack of winter rain.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »
We've never had much luck with cauliflowers but this year decided to try one of the purple varieties with our first decent cauliflower ever!
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2017, 01:12:58 PM »
Some time ago I posted a photo of Sideritis perfoliata growing in our garden. Here in Cyprus we have an endemic Ironwort, Sideritis cypria that grows in a very few locations in the Pentadaktylos mountain range in the north of the island. It is listed in the Red Data Book as Endangered. Today I was fortunate enough to see one for the first time in the garden of a friend. The general difference between the two plants is quite striking.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Joanna Savage

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2017, 05:23:05 AM »
Hello John, there are three species of Sideritis on this garden, cypria, phlomoides and syriaca. All plants came from Gerard Weiner, pepiniere Vaugines at Lucca Murabilia 2016. So far all seem to be flowering well so I could send seed to you in due course if you would like it. They are now growing in a pot with sharp drainage and plenty of sun as I lost a previous S. cypria in winter. It is one of my favourite grey leaved plants.

John J

« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2017, 07:34:08 AM »
Joanna that would be fantastic and very generous. If you could let me know when you have any seeds ready I'll send an email with my address. Thank you.

John J

« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2017, 06:52:07 AM »
Not a single fruit of the day but the result of my wife's early morning walk around the garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2017, 10:20:19 AM »
Lucky you. Last year the plum tree was full of fruit - most of which was eaten by Monk Parakeets - but this year frost killed all the flowers and I have not even one plum. The lemons too suffered. Many of them have mushy areas in them which are brown. Also due to frost damage. On a positive note, the new lemon crop is starting to develop now.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »
David and John, can you give some advice to Sandy about apples and pears?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2017, 02:38:09 AM »
I have just seen this today by clicking on "recent unread posts". Clicking on "unread posts" throws up nothing so there is something amiss.  In answer to your question, I am afraid that I am not much use. I inherited a garden with two lemon trees and one plum tree. Even with those I have little idea of how to prune them etc. I have no knowledge of either apple or pear trees I'm afraid  :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2017, 05:05:10 AM »
Fleur, I assume you are referring to Sandy who posted on 'Apple tree woes'? Personally I would not even attempt to grow pears here as we can experience temps as high as 40 degrees in summer. I mentioned on the above post that we do grow a variety of apple that has a proven record of surviving these conditions. Once picked the fruit does not keep well and needs to be used within a reasonable period of time, so they are generally used for cooking rather than as conventional eating apples.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2018, 03:25:05 PM »
Not quite "fruit of the day" but the promise of things to come - hopefully!
Watermelon 'Sugar Baby' is starting to set fruit,
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2018, 05:40:20 AM »
Two weeks later and we have harvested our first 'Sugar Baby' watermelon - but the one in the pic above is a smaller variety called 'Golden Midget'!
Here's a pic comparing the two
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2018, 03:57:13 PM »
We bought a chilie plant from an Italian couple at a local market earlier in the season and it is now in fruit.
A friend tasted one when it was yellow and said it was very hot. We're not game to try them now that they've gone red :P
Not sure what it is exactly as it's not one I've grown before.
Anybody got an idea?
cheers
fermi

Caroline

« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2018, 09:53:13 PM »
Nearly four years living in Mexico gave me an interest in the different varieties of chili.  I have just tried to find the booklet I had which was very comprehensive, but it looks as if I threw it out in a fit of decluttering.  However I still have two posters on the kitchen wall and your photos Fermi most closely match "Scotch bonnet", which is ranked at 9 to 10 on the "heat" scale, which goes from 1 to 10.   If that's what it is then I would regard your plant as purely ornamental!
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
Thanks, Caroline,
Just as well they look pretty ;D
This year we didn't need to plant Cucumbers as they came up from the compost!
We've just picked the first cuke from the 3rd bed in which they've germinated!
cheers
fermi