Fruit/Veg of the day

• 159 Replies

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »
Jorun, I've been to one of the more reliable garden centres and found that he gets his Mexican tarragon from a supplier here in Cyprus. He can get me some, probably by next spring, but then we have the problem of getting them to you! I go to Athens every 3 months or so but that's still a long way from where you are, both in Norway or Halkidiki.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2015, 11:58:56 AM »
Thank you, John, you are right, Athens is a long way from Halkidiki. If this is available in Cyprus, I would guess it may be found in Greece as well, so maybe I should try to find it there first. We are coming back to Greece in the spring, I'll ask the owner of our local garden center if he can get it, he is very interested in drought-tolerant plants. I see there is a company in the US that sells seeds, might be worth trying.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2015, 12:10:13 PM »
I actually see that the Swedish company Impecta sells seeds of Tagetes lucida as well, I buy most of my seeds from them, they have an enourmous selection of seeds from all over the world. I'll try that, it seems as if this plant is easily grown from seed.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2015, 01:44:30 PM »
I forgot to mention that we spotted some actual French tarragon while we were there and picked up a couple so that we can compare their drought tolerant potential with that of the Mexican one.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day - Thyme
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2015, 12:01:39 PM »
One of the many varieties of thyme. This one is Thymus citriodorus 'Variegata'.

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day - Globe artichoke
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2015, 08:22:01 AM »
Beginning to appear along our western boundary hedge.

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day - Cape gooseberry
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2015, 05:45:37 AM »
Physalis peruviana, only a small plant but doing quite well so far. The seeds came from the MGS garden Sparoza.

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day - Miracle tree
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »
I'm stretching the boundaries here with this tree. It isn't one that I recall encountering before. This morning I paid a visit to the home of someone who has introduced a growing method that I believe is new to the island, it's certainly new to me. Actually I was carrying out a recce prior to planning a Branch visit. I won't go into detail as I am hoping to write an article for the MGS Journal about this so MGS members at least will be appraised of the subject. While the owner and I were walking around the property he pointed out some small trees and encouraged me to try the flowers and leaves. This was the so-called Miracle tree (Moringa oleifera). Apparently it has been given the common name due to the nutritional value of almost all of its parts, especially the leaves it seems. Having looked it up on the Internet it would indeed appear to live up to the name, if all that has been written about it is factual. There is far too much info for me to list it here and I leave it to readers of the Forum to investigate it for themselves and make their own judgements. I was very generously offered a seed pod, which I accepted, and intend to attempt to grow a 'Miracle tree' of my own. I'll keep you posted of developments.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2015, 12:31:07 AM »
Hi John,
your pics reminded me of what my dad grew in India and Hong Kong as "Drumstick Tree"and I see that Mr Google gives it the same botanical name.
I must see if it is available here,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2015, 06:11:34 AM »
Hi Fermi,
I saw the same common name for this tree when I was looking it up. I don't recall ever coming across it in Singapore. The guy I got the pod from says he grows them quite easily from seed and I'll be going back to see him in the New Year but I don't suppose your strict Aussie rules will allow the importing of seeds by post or I could maybe send you some?

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day - Avocado
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »
I wasn't sure whether or not to post this on wildlife in the garden as something has certainly been at it! >:(

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day - Almonds
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2016, 05:21:35 PM »
Almond blossom time again though sadly the tree is not ours but is in a field at the edge of the village.

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day - Limoncello
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »
OK, I know Limoncello is not a fruit but is the product of one of our most prolific fruit trees, the lemon. My wife produced the ones shown using the recipe provided by MGS member, Helene Pizzi, and reproduced on the MGS website by our web editor, thanks Fleur.  :)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2016, 03:41:59 PM »
All your recipes for your garden (or hedgerow) produce would be very welcome for this website page www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/fruitandveg.html. Thea has added her own crumble recipe using the giant marrow pictured above.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Caroline

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day -tomatillo or Mexican green tomato
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2016, 08:51:04 AM »
Someone was asking what to do with Mexican green tomatoes (Physalis), apart from making fresh salsa - sorry I can't find the thread.   It's also possible to make a cooked salsa (green tomatoes, garlic, onion and chili), whizzed up in a blender/processor then cooked briefly in a small fry pan with a little oil. Delicious on top of bread, cheese and avocado, put under the grill, or as a sauce in tacos with shredded meat.  I imagine it would freeze well (never had enough left over to try!).
 :)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline