Fruit/Veg of the day

• 152 Replies

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2021, 03:04:54 PM »
David, nespole was a new one on me until I looked it up and found they were loquats. We have a couple of trees in our garden. When you were in Malaysia did you ever acquire a taste for Durian? We always knew when they were in season as the streets of the city centre reeked of them, people carrying them were not allowed on public transport.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2021, 12:47:12 AM »
Hi John,

Durian do smell, don't they. Not allowed in several places in Malaysia, I recall. Hotels being one of them. I did eat them on occasion and the taste was okay. I have to be honest, overall, tropical fruit (in my humble opinion) is not a patch on Mediterranean/European fruit. Mangos and pineapple would be the exception. I wouldn't be without cherries, peaches, melon in summer and oranges and crisp, sweet, juicy apples in winter - whoever "invented" floury apples?! Ugghh!!! . Just imagine, after a week lost in a desert, stumbling across a fridge. Using every last ounce of your strength to heave the door open, you come across a sweet, ripe water melon. Which tropical fruit could match that?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2021, 06:22:29 PM »
Not exactly fruit of the day, but some of the ones that we have on our trees at the moment.
We have already been enjoying the Figs, Strawberry guava, Pomegranates and Passion fruit.
Still to come are the Guava, Persimmon, Avocado and Mango.
We have a good crop of Medlar but hardly ever bother to go to the trouble of finding ways to get them to ripen.
Our Walnut produces very few nuts as the temperature at this altitude is not to its liking, they much prefer the climate higher up the mountain.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)