Fruit/Veg of the day

• 107 Replies

John J

Re: Fruit/Veg of the day
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2018, 09:41:41 AM »
This year we thought we would experiment with growing sweet potatoes. I dug these up this morning.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2018, 07:54:24 AM »
Very impressive! (wish I liked the taste as much as "real" potatoes)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Caroline

« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »
The trick is not to think of them as potatoes, which I suspect is how they are treated in the UK.  I like kumara (i.e. sweet potatoes)  in a 50/50 mash with potato and lots of garlic, around a roast of lamb, or BBQed.  For the latter, boil in their skins, then cut into slices and char-grill with a little olive oil.  Delicious.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline