Iris identification please

• 1 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Iris identification please
« on: September 17, 2015, 01:34:57 AM »
I had this Iris for one year, 2 years ago - when the flower photo was taken. It didn't survive but I now have a new tuber from my sister's garden in Leeds where it does very well. If at first ... etc. Knowing what it is might increase my chances. The base of the leaves is blue as seen on the new tuber. Any help gratefully received. I think it could be some hybrid of Iris virginica/versicolor.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Iris identification please
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:57:21 PM »
Whilst sorting out some old papers I came across a slip of paper with the name of the Iris below. It is Iris "Gerald Darby". When my sister sent me a piece she wrote it down for me. I lost the piece of paper and the magpies stole her yellow label and so neither of us could remember the name of the plant.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.