Tree with small fruit in Cataluña, Spain, ID'd by John J as Zizyphus zizyphus

• 2 Replies

oenz

Can anyone please help to identify the tree in the attached photos?

The photos were taken in August on my property in Freginals, Cataluña, Spain. I'm not sure how mature the tree is, but it's approximately 3m tall and about 1.5m wide. The tree had no leaves on it in March. There are some small fruits/seeds about 3cm in length.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:51:20 AM by Alisdair »
I have a 2.5 hectare property adjoining the Sierra del Montsià in Cataluña, Spain. I wish to establish a Mediterranean garden that compliments the wider natural environment. I am interested in reading and learning from other gardeners that have created a sustainable Mediterranean garden.

John J

Re: Tree with small fruit in Cataluña, Spain
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 02:33:55 PM »
Could it be a jujube, Zizyphus zizyphus?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

oenz

Re: Tree with small fruit in Cataluña, Spain
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 04:46:04 PM »
Thanks John. I've read a bit of information about this now and I'm sure you're right.

The leaves, bark and fruit have quite extensive medicinal qualities and have been used in Chinese medicine for over 2500 years. It is also said to be helpful in diminishing wrinkles and reducing grey hair so I'd better start eating it now!  :)
I have a 2.5 hectare property adjoining the Sierra del Montsià in Cataluña, Spain. I wish to establish a Mediterranean garden that compliments the wider natural environment. I am interested in reading and learning from other gardeners that have created a sustainable Mediterranean garden.