Rose ID'd by Oron as Rosa moschata 'Plena'

• 3 Replies

Charithea

« on: August 23, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »
I am posting a photo of my beautiful rose. It was bought this last Autumn from the church nursery in Nicosia, and the lady promised me that it came from a Rosa moschata that she had in her garden, up the mountains since childhood. In fact I bought three of them. Two for us and one for my sister. One of them flowered while we were in Northern Greece so did not see the rose, my sister's flowered at the same time but I was surprised this morning to see this flower. It is exactly how I remembered the moschata rose from my childhood. We do have a rose moschata but it has single petals. Please tell me that it is the correct name.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:01:52 PM by Alisdair »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »
I have been asked to add a photo of the rose that I took to the above posting as the one taken by my wife on her iPad is rather small.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:57:45 AM »
It does look like Rosa moschata 'Plena', the pink color in the bud [on the reverse of the petals] is a good sign as well.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:58:51 AM by Alisdair »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Charithea

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 04:05:34 PM »
Thank you Oron. I am happy that my memory of this rose is correct. I have checked the plant and there are 7 more buds. They have the pink tinge on their petals.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.