What do you think?

• 6 Replies

John J

What do you think?
« on: August 24, 2015, 07:24:53 AM »
The following photo was taken outside one of the houses in a complex being built by contractors for sale as, mainly, holiday homes. Any comments?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:47:33 AM »
Looks like the work of Spodoptera littoralis.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »
A very poor attempt at an outdoor chessboard?
 ???
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 04:27:05 PM »
You may well be correct, Oron, but personally I think it looks more like the work of Gardna pseudoexperta. Even if it were a good idea to create a lawn under the circumstances the way it has been carried out is very amateurish. The quality of the turf looks to be poor and no-one who knew what they were doing would  lay it out in the checkerboard design as pointed out by Fermi. It would not have taken a lot of imagination to create a far more attractive area using drought tolerant planting that would have required less water to maintain.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 07:41:18 PM »
I hope the contractors' building skills are better than their attempt at gardening, what a waste!
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 08:19:27 AM »
...Gardna pseudoexperta....
;D ;D ;D
Most likely, John,
and as one of my friends liks to say "x" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure!
If they are selling this as a holiday house they obviously have chosen to provide a "quick and easy" lawn regardless of how difficult it would be to maintain in the future and how much better it would've been to put in a xeric or low-water requirement garden of interesting plants,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Pauline

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 10:48:15 AM »
An architect here suggested that it would be a good idea to cover our very sloped plot with lawn, and be so much cheaper than re-terracing it. He wasn't best pleased when, having realised he was serious, I told him he had a lot to learn about gardening.

He did manage to persuade our poor neighbours, novice gardeners who installed a (fortunately) small area of lawn complete with automatic watering system. It was on the north side of the house so I suppose it stood a chance. He neglected, however, to tell them how very often it would need cutting. It lasted a year or two, I think.
An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.