Pineapple Broom

• 17 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Pineapple Broom
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 01:50:28 AM »
Re my last posting. I did finally get another Pineapple Broom for Umbrian but we haven't managed to meet up. It has been in a small pot for over a year now. All of the taller growth died back but it is constantly sending out new side shoots from low down. Encouraged by this I bought a second specimen last November and that is still in its pot waiting to be planted out. I will put it in an even shadier spot than the last one. How about yours John and Cerg? Are they still with you?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 05:49:33 AM »
Hi David, unfortunately our plant did not survive last year's summer.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »
Sorry to hear that John. I  have the one from last November sitting waiting to be potted out so I may as well try. I wonder if it is worth letting it flower and then cutting it down for the summer and letting it sprout anew in the autumn. Obviously it will never grow much but even as a little bush which flowers every April it would be worth having..
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.