Geranium maderense

• 7 Replies

Caroline

Geranium maderense
« on: July 27, 2015, 07:36:53 AM »
Does anyone have any experience in growing Geranium maderense?  I have two healthy plants in pots which a friend gave me, and now want to plant them out.  I know it needs free-draining soil (will have to dig some compost and grit into my unlovely clay) but my various reference books are giving me conflicting advice as to whether it does best in shade or sun. All thoughts welcome!
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Joanna Savage

Re: Geranium maderense
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 02:00:44 PM »
Hello Caroline, I first saw G. maderense growing at Portmeirion in Wales. It was a magnificent specimen, in full flower. And I wonder if that mild estuary climate might be something like your island climate. It was such a magnificent plant that I bought two at the attached nursery. A crazy thing to do as I was taking it back to Northumberland. But to my surprise they did well in a conservatory, the only heating being a blow heater on frosty nights. I still remember it flowering happily when there was 10 cms of frozen snow melting on the conservatory roof. So it should do well whatever conditions you throw at it. Keep us posted.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 03:17:00 AM »
You won't have any trouble on Waiheke. With us it grow roughly 1m x 1m plus 2m flower head - vast. The white form is no less big.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Caroline

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:07:12 AM »
Thanks Trevor - I'm going to hedge my bets by planting one in a slightly shadier position than the other!
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 11:00:16 AM »
The best internet discussion I've seen on Geranium maderense is by Dan Cooper in his blog The Frustrated Gardener: you can find it by clicking here
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Caroline

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 04:24:13 AM »
Thanks Alisdair - I am about to try again (both my earlier specimens succumbed). so very timely!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 07:19:17 AM »
Good luck, Caroline! We've got ten or eleven strong young plants from seed (here in Sussex, England), and are going to risk some outside in various places that we hope might be mild/dry enough for them in the increasingly mild winters that we usually have here, with others in big pots under cover. Fingers crossed!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »
Sally used to grow and propagate this at Sparoza so a few of us had it from her, but a cold winter killed the lot. I remember it being pretty spectacular.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece