Sick Aeonium haworthiis

• 2 Replies

Berissima

Sick Aeonium haworthiis
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:33:59 AM »
Hello! I've been slowly collecting succulents from my trips to California and most have done well in my sunny NH 2nd floor apartment. However, my once-healthy Aeonium haworthiis seems to have contracted a fungus or some type of disease over the winter. Its clippings are keeping it, seems to be worsening. Any idea of what it is or what I can do to stop it from spreading? Of course I could just start more from different clippings in the future, but I'd love to know the cause... Thanks!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Sick Aeonium haworthiis
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 09:28:47 AM »
Have you kept them pretty dry, Berissima? Root damage because of over-damp compost could perhaps have opened them to a fungal infection.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Berissima

Re: Sick Aeonium haworthiis
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 03:00:45 PM »
Alisdair, thanks for the reply! I've watered these plants when they become dry, and they are in a typical succulent potting soil in an draining pot– though I did have two of them of them in a non-draining pot with other succulents last fall and that is about the time it started. I've read that these types of Aeoniums don't love being bone dry like others, and they are growing well, so I never figured it was my watering habit.

If they did contract a fungal infection, is there a way to treat it?