Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day unidentified (as yet) cactus
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2016, 08:04:55 AM »
This is still flowering strongly after nearly a month of sending up flowers. I have also posted this on the "plant identification" pages.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #286 on: June 01, 2016, 09:58:15 AM »
This has been identified by Hinterland as Rebutia heliosa Thanks again Hinterland :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day: Dianthus deltoides "Alboides"
« Reply #287 on: June 03, 2016, 09:57:25 PM »
I was in Berlin at the beginning of May and I bought a small Dianthus deltoides, washed off most of the soil and brought it back to Rome. I am not a big fan of large-flowered, colourful  Dianthus but deltoides seemed much more delicate from the photograph on the label. And so it has turned out to be. Lots of new roots growing and the first flowers opening up just 3 weeks after its journey in a rucksack.  I like to recycle transparent plastic cups which are thrown out in their hundreds of thousands every year, not only from an environmental point of view but also because they are ideal for seeing how cuttings etc are doing root-wise.

Reading up about it, it would seem that it has a fair chance of survival. I had hoped to see lots of references to it on the forum but there are only 2 ("Nature wins Gold" and "Typical Garden Flowers 100yrs ago"). Is this because it is so common-place in mediterranean gardens that there is no need to talk about it here? Hope so.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #288 on: June 03, 2016, 10:01:08 PM »
Excuse me. Didn't proof read my previous email. Tut, tut! Should read Dianthus deltoides "Albiflorus". Not even sure "Alboides" means anything.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Zantedeschia (albomaculata?)
« Reply #289 on: June 08, 2016, 11:32:17 AM »
I can't claim any credit for this one. It popped up out of a pot which had been left in the garden by the previous occupier. It may be albomaculata or it could be a hybrid with albomaculata in the mix somewhere?

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Salvia guaranitica
« Reply #290 on: June 09, 2016, 08:28:52 AM »
I am now beginning to understand what parents feel like when their children take their first steps from home alone. Having always had plants in pots I now have a few areas in my new garden where I can plant directly into soil. Salvia guaranitica was one of the first to be released. I needn't have worried so much. It is flowering now even though it is only about a foot tall. I don't know which variety it is but the colour is a more intense blue than the photo shows. "Black and Blue"?

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #291 on: June 19, 2016, 11:56:17 PM »
One plant for today (Echinops denudata? - sent to id pages also) and one "almost made it" or, in the words of a famous song "What a difference a day makes!". I saw the buds, couldn't check the following morning due to work commitments and what I saw the the morning after that you can see in the attached photos (also sent to the id pages). One of the many plants still in crates after my house move I'm afraid, so not the most beautiful of photos. Sorry.

Charithea

« Reply #292 on: June 21, 2016, 12:52:42 PM »
Hi David. Congratulations on your success with Salvia guaranitica.  I have not been very lucky with it or with the Anthony Parker variety.  In October, I  brought back cuttings from Rome from the late Keay Pierconti and one plant with roots on from a friend of hers but both ended in failure. See photo of cuttings . Finally I  made a 'New Salvia patch' and have sown seeds of guaranitica and  other salvias.  The guaranitica died but luckily the others  did not disappoint me. They don't have the colour or the presence of the 2 salvias mentioned but they survive the heat.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:54:49 PM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #293 on: June 22, 2016, 12:39:15 AM »
Hi Charithea

The S guaranitica is so busy sending up flowers that it seems to have forgotten about growing taller. I am loathe to nip off the new flower spikes to encourage it to do so for obvious reasons. It is also in a shady spot but once it gets to 3 feet or more it will poke out into the sun. When I was planting it out a small piece broke off and that has now produced a good root system. I will see if I can get some S "Anthony Parker" cuttings to strike and then get them over to you in the autumn.  I'll update you on that around September time.  :)

Charithea

« Reply #294 on: June 22, 2016, 04:00:04 PM »
Thank you David.  It is very kind of you. I know that you have a Maurandya Barclayana so perhaps you can tell me if the photo of my plant is one of them.  I had sown many seeds and had lots of seedlings but this is the only surviving one.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #295 on: June 23, 2016, 01:34:54 AM »
Hi Charithea,

RE Maurandya Barclayana - It looks very much like it. I will take a photo on Friday morning of the seedlings I have on the go (tomorrow one of those horribly busy days at work :( ) and post it so we can make comparison.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Gymnocalycium mihanovichii
« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2016, 02:05:31 AM »
Dilemas, dilemas ??? Where do I post this? Plant of the day? Obviously "yes" because here it is. But other contenders were Cactus and succulent pages and also plant id. The latter because I wrote last summer about this plant saying that I would probably have to wait years to see what the flower was like as the plant was very small. That was not to be, luckily, and my  Gymnocalycium mihanovichii /G friedrichii/ G mihanovichii ssp friedrichi? is now giving me these beautiful flowers.

This year the cactus is very different in colour to that of last year when it was a dark green and brown marbling ???

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #297 on: June 23, 2016, 02:10:35 AM »
Being an English teacher, it might also be a good idea to learn how to spell dilemma! ::) :-[

Hilary

« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2016, 06:08:22 AM »
I love the colour of your cactus

Does the flower last long?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #299 on: June 25, 2016, 12:12:15 AM »
Hi Hilary,

This is the first year that the cactus has flowered but these are the same 2 flowers taken this morning. So, 2 full days, at least. How many more flowers might come up over the rest of the year? I'll put a post here if they do :-)