Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

JTh

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2015, 11:50:27 PM »
I was just curious, I bought one a couple of years ago, it didn't last very long.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2015, 01:26:47 AM »
I have tried to keep Pentas indoors over winter but it died once we got to the cold nights in January.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Bush Ipomoea
« Reply #212 on: November 29, 2015, 09:18:58 AM »
As stated above Ipomoea carnea ssp fistulosa is a bush and not the more usual climber.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Brugmansia suaveolens
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2015, 08:18:02 AM »
Really coming into its own now, and the scent is amazing.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Joanna Savage

Re: Plant of the Day Narcissus Paperwhite
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2015, 03:32:17 PM »
This 'jonquil' began to flower in late November. Occasionally it has flowered for Christmas, but it is usually into Feb before we see it. A great pleasure to see and smell it so early

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #215 on: December 04, 2015, 09:06:20 AM »
After a prolonged warm autumn here in Italy I have some very strange bedfellows in the garden.
Mandevilla, Salvias, Pelargoniums, Bidens still going strong and tucked under my Solanum rantonneti the first Iris unguicularis flower. Some Hyacynths left in a pot outside are also well advanced and showing the flower buds.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #216 on: December 04, 2015, 10:11:21 AM »
... and here in England we saw a wild primrose in flower yesterday; what a weird year!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - Centaurea biokovensis
« Reply #217 on: December 05, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
Apparently Centaurea biokovensis was on the Red List of Threatened Plants - not sure if it still is.
I got it from a supplier in the Blue Mountains in NSW www.lynnsrareplants.com.au last year and planted it out a couple of months ago into a new raised bed where it appears to be settling in!
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Polygala
« Reply #218 on: December 13, 2015, 09:39:19 AM »
Things seem to have hit a bit of a pre-Christmas lull so here goes with a shrub that is beginning to show more life after struggling a little during the summer heat and drought. Its generic name translates as 'lots of milk', apparently due to the belief that it increases lactation in livestock. Whether this is due to a reaction triggered by eating it or to a sense of well-being induced by its beautiful appearance I'll leave you to decide.  ???

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Aloe arborescens
« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2015, 07:34:23 AM »
With the cooler weather arriving some of our succulents are beginning to revive.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Aeonium
« Reply #220 on: December 15, 2015, 08:06:24 AM »
Staying with succulents this Aeonium is beginning to unfurl following a short burst of rain and a cooling of temperature.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Rhaphiolepis umbellata
« Reply #221 on: December 16, 2015, 06:05:03 AM »
A tough little shrub displaying its autumn berries.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Crossandra infundibuliformis
« Reply #222 on: December 17, 2015, 08:31:28 AM »
Not a typical Mediterranean plant, more of an oddity. A friend gave us one as a gift and we are keeping it in the pot to see how it fares. We will probably have to move it indoors when the outside temperature falls below around 10C.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - Indigofera pseudotinctoria
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »
We got this Indigofera as a small (?1 or 2 year old) seedling last year but only got to plant it out a few months ago when it was dormant. It has made reasonable growth and is now in flower,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Farfugium japonicum
« Reply #224 on: December 21, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »
Another experiment with an unlikely med plant. Usually found growing alongside streams, ours is still in a pot kept liberally moist until I can find a spot somewhere in the shade that gets regular water. Not an easy task in our garden. There's plenty of shady places as we have a lot of mature trees but the water situation is another matter. In the meantime the local slugs seem to appreciate the fleshy leaves.  >:(