Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

John J

Ipomoea 'Scarlet O'Hara' and Ipomoea quamoclit
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2015, 07:43:26 AM »
It's heartening to stroll out into the garden in the early morning and find that some plants are prepared to defy the desiccating heat at this time of the year. Like these two, Ipomoea 'Scarlet O'Hara' and I. quamoclit.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:46:57 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Hoya Carnosa
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2015, 12:00:22 PM »
For "plant of the day" I thought I'd post Hoya Carnosa. My plant has just finished flowering but new buds are beginning already where the last ones fell off. In shade they do really well and are not too worried about the heatwave we are going through in Rome at the moment (broken by 2 days of thunderstorms a couple of days back).
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Re: Pancratium maritimum
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2015, 01:43:15 PM »
The latest Pancratium flowers taken early this morning.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:20:05 PM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Hoya carnosa
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »
What a perfect globe of flower on your Hoya, David! I've always thought the summer air would be too dry for us to try one in Greece, but for yours looking like that in Rome maybe I should yield to temptation....
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2015, 03:16:45 PM »
Our Hoya carnosa in June this year.
It produced more flowers this year at the same time than it has in the past  30 ?years.
I don't know what I did differently this year, except leave it to its own devices for about three weeks in March/ April.
It gets a weekly hose down and a spoonfull of fertiliser in the spring and autumn.
The dried mint leaves are supposed to keep aphids away  and there certainly haven't been any this year
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Janet Ibbotson

Re: Pancratium maritimum
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2015, 07:07:49 AM »
The latest Pancratium flowers taken early this morning.

I've grown some Pancratium from seed.  They are currently in a pot of sand mixed with a little compost.  I was going to plant them out this autumn in my garden on a steep rocky area facing the sea but 150 metres up.  Does anyone have experience of growing them in a garden rather than the wild.  Are they like to grow in my "normal" Greek soil (i.e. builders rubble, rocks, pebbles, bit of compost) there or do I need to make a special sand mix for them?
Janet Ibbotson
MGS Member currently based in Skopelos, Greece but also gardens in Norfolk

John J

« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2015, 09:24:26 AM »
Janet, ours are grown from seed and were later planted out into the garden. You have described the soil that they are in pretty accurately. The most important thing appears to be that it be free-draining and is given a little water from time to time. The individual flowers on ours only last for one day but each spike produces multiple buds that open in sequence.

Alice

« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2015, 01:24:54 AM »
Janet, I have been trying to grow Pancratium maritimum in the garden. I have planted them on a mound (diameter 1m, height 0.5m) made from silt washed down from the road by heavy rain, mixed with a little soil. The silt is mainly marble dust. The plants are surviving but growing rather slowly. I also planted some seeds in a raised bed which acts as a nursery and they have germinated and survived. The soil there is light but not a special mix.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

Plant of the Day - Carissa macrocarpa
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2015, 10:48:46 AM »
Been neglecting these lately. This is a tough South African shrub, Carissa macrocarpa. Scented flowers, needs little or no supplementary water and its vicious thorns make it ideal for use as a security fence.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:06:11 PM by Alisdair »

John J

Plant of the Day - Pennisetum 'Mt Fuji'
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2015, 09:06:46 AM »
The current gardening fashion of using grasses lends itself well to Mediterranean gardens. This is Pennisetum 'Mt Fuji' in the early morning sun.
Extra Smartie points to anyone who can identify the tree in the background. ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:40:38 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Plant of the Day - Strelitzia regina
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2015, 11:52:39 AM »
Strelitzia reginae exotic and architectural while requiring minimal attention.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:52:33 AM by Alisdair »

Caroline

« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2015, 08:37:08 AM »
Can we have a clue as to the mystery plant at the back of your Pennisetum, please John?  Looks like a coprosma to me, but I suspect that's just my antipodean prejudice.  ;)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

John J

« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2015, 04:56:13 PM »
Oh dear! I hadn't really expected anyone to take me up on the challenge and 'ave a go', do you see! :-[ So I guess now I'll have to put my thinking cap on and come up with something. Unfortunately you are on the wrong continent, Caroline.

Alice

« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2015, 10:27:49 AM »
Mystery plant in the background: Arbutus unedo??
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2015, 04:53:03 PM »
Funny you should pick on that particular plant, Alice, as behind the tree in question there is an Arbutus andrachne, they are far more prevalent on the island than A unedo. Obviously it can't be seen on the photo so that doesn't help you much! :D I'm surprised that you haven't picked up on the clue, I've given the name, well almost. ;)