Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

John J

Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2015, 02:19:53 PM »
I don't think the waters could get much muddier, Alisdair! I've seen this plant described on assorted websites as; Tecoma alata (formerly known as Tecoma guarume); Tecoma alata 'Orange Jubilee'; as a hybrid between Tecoma stans and Tecoma alata, and probably every other combination you can dream up plus a few more! I got to the point where I needed to lie down in a dark room with an aspirin, or maybe a double whisky would have been better!!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Clerodendrum chinense
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2015, 04:37:29 AM »
Today's plant is also one that we have grown from cuttings. Mike Hardman, an MGS member in Cyprus provided us with 3 rooted cuttings and they have all thrived. One word of warning, however, it will sucker profusely and take over an area if not kept in check, but the scent of the flowers is well worth the trouble.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Pancratium maritimum
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2015, 04:44:19 AM »
Grown from seed collected from a beach in Crete. I believe it was the beach that was used as a location in the movie Zorba to film the dance scene with Anthony Quinn and Alan Bates.

David Dickinson

• Email
Pavonia hastata
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2015, 10:03:35 AM »
Pavonia Hastata. These pictures were taken last year but today I have 3 buds just about to open. Much earlier than last year's flowers. For the last month I have had repeated cleistogamy type buds which I read is very common for this species. Such flower buds don't open but do produce seed. I'm looking forward to seeing 3 of these delicate little flowers tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:32:55 PM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2015, 03:40:49 PM »
Good luck, David! But maybe when you get cooler weather you'll have more of a flush of flowers?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
Senecio confusus
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2015, 12:36:06 PM »
I wasn't so lucky, the Pavonia flowers didn't open as I had hoped. But they will in autumn if last year is anything to go by. In the meantime another photo for "Plant of the Day", Senecio confusus and another that gives me flowers only in autumn. I can't understand why.  The plant from which I took a cutting is about 500 meters away in a neighbouring street and it has been smothered in flowers for weeks! The parent plant is in the ground and mine is in a pot so maybe there is a difference there. I noticed it was a flower which was present in one of the May-wreaths that John J posted, so an even earlier flower there.

Anyway, here is a photo of my plant in autumn.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:16:50 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Passiflora caerulea 'Constance Elliott'
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »
Just about to finish flowering for me now, only one bud left to open. But it will give me a few more flowers in the autumn. Passiflora "Constance Elliot"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:00:47 AM by Alisdair »

Alice

Pancratium maritimum
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »
Your Pancratium looks lovely, John.
Did you grow it in pots or in the ground and in what soil? And how long before it flowered?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

David Dickinson

• Email
Salvia guaranitica
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2015, 01:31:02 PM »
A photo from this time last year. Salvia guaranitica ("Black and Blue"?). It is (was) great for my balcony as the tall stems grow out through the railings and the flowers are visible as you stand looking out from the balcony. This year, like some of my other Salvias, it is not happy. After the usual spurt of growth it died back to pot level. It is resprouting but I doubt I'll see flowers this year  :(
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:27:14 AM by Alisdair »

David Dickinson

• Email
Grindelia robusta and Plumbago auriculata
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2015, 11:05:50 AM »
A plant which hasn't failed me for 5 years with a plant which hasn't failed me for 12 years in the background. Grindelia robusta and Plumbago auriculata respectively. With regard to the Plumbago, I haven't even changed the soil or the pot for 12 years and it still keeps on flowering every summer, all summer.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:33:16 AM by Alisdair »

John J

« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2015, 04:24:02 PM »
Sorry to have taken a while to reply, Alice, but I have been out of Internet contact for the last 2 weeks. The Pancratium seeds were germinated in a pot and transplanted into the ground when they grew large enough. The soil is very sandy where they are by the side of a path and free draining. They took a couple of years to grow to flowering size.

Alice

« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2015, 11:40:12 AM »
Thank you, John.
I have also planted some from seed and 2-3 bought from a local nursery. I await their flowers.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alice

Re: Grindelia robusta and Plumbago auriculata
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »
A plant which hasn't failed me for 5 years with a plant which hasn't failed me for 12 years in the background. Grindelia robusta and Plumbago auriculata respectively. With regard to the Plumbago, I haven't even changed the soil or the pot for 12 years and it still keeps on flowering every summer, all summer.
Your Plumbago auriculata is a lovely colour, David.
I would say a pot is the best place for it as it can be quite invasive, producing a mass of underground runners. It took over one of our beds completely and months after removing it we are still digging up new shoots.

John J

« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2015, 09:27:54 AM »
I second Alice's comment. Our plumbago plants would take over if allowed to do so. This one is by the side of our front gate and needs to be regularly trimmed back to keep it in check.

John J

Eremophila
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2015, 12:50:46 PM »
Two different Eremophila that get absolutely no supplementary water during the summer months. They're both loving the current heatwave.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:26:13 PM by Alisdair »