Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

John J

Jasminum mesnyi
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2015, 04:51:33 AM »
Jasminum mesnyi, no scent but a bright splash of yellow to brighten dull winter days. Best displayed where it can cascade. Ours is well established and gets little or no supplementary water during the summer.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:42:30 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Viburnum tinus
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2015, 04:35:09 AM »
Today we feature an old faithful standby that often gets overlooked, Viburnum tinus. A shrub that cheerfully produces its delicately scented flowers every winter/spring without fail, whilst uncomplainingly taking anything and everything the mediterranean climate throws at it. A real unsung hero of many of our gardens.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:42:49 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2015, 06:41:17 AM »
Daisy,
Rotten luck with your leg. I do hope you get mobile again before too long. Meanwhile, that's a stunning view by your front door!
I can sympathize partly from experience, as I am of reduced mobility myself, following major spine surgery (15 bits of titanium in my neck now).
All best, Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2015, 08:04:18 AM »
Commiserations Daisy I know just how frustrated you will be feeling having managed to break both my ankles in one go several years ago. I was in plaster from knees to toes for several weeks and had to "live" in a reclining chair for many more once the plaster was removed because my muscles had weakened and I had to learn to walk all over again. A wheelchair enabled me to get into the garden a bit and once the plaster was off I sometimes managed to persuade my husband to lift me to the ground in order to do a bit of weeding. Patience is certainly a virtue on these occasions - and following doctor's orders......good luck. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2015, 09:26:35 AM »
Very best wishes from us all, Daisy - the one bright spot is that it's good to be able to think of you having that lovely view of at least some of your splendid plants, while you get better.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

Eriocephalus africanus
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2015, 04:37:49 AM »
Eriocephalus africanus, a tough shrub indigenous to South Africa. Once established needs little or no supplementary summer watering. Foliage aromatic when bruised.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:43:18 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Carthamus tinctorius
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 04:59:03 AM »
The Safflower (Carthamus tinctorius) is an annual that has been grown for thousands of years. Garlands made from it were found in the tomb of Tutankhamun. Its deep taproot allows it to survive in the most arid conditions.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:43:54 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Senna artemesioides
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2015, 04:43:46 AM »
Senna artemesioides, our bush gets no supplementary water in the summer and still produces a mass of highly fragrant flowers every spring.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:44:08 AM by Alisdair »

Daisy

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2015, 07:29:41 AM »
Thank-you so much for your commiserations, although I think that I have got off lightly compared to Umbrian. Two legs at once!!! and Mike. 15 bits of titanium in your neck!!! Wow.
Here are a few photos that my husband took for me. At least I can enjoy my garden vicariously.

Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

royscot

• Email
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2015, 08:36:38 AM »
You have a lovely garden Daisy. I hope in a few years time to have something half as good!

Roy

John J

Retama raetam
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2015, 05:26:32 AM »
Retama raetam, is known as 'The Bride' in Cyprus due to its being smothered in fragrant white blossom when in full flower. They are often used in central reservations on the highway. Ours gets no supplementary water at all in summer. The one in the photo was growing on a dry hillside in Morocco.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:44:40 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Phlomis russeliana
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2015, 04:46:04 AM »
For today's photo I'm indebted to Joanna Savage. Thanks, Joanna.
Phlomis russeliana (Turkish Sage), grows to a height of 90 cms and is long flowering.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:44:56 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Ferula communis
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2015, 04:23:44 AM »
Another photo supplied by Joanna. This time of Ferula communis a common sight alongside road verges in the Mediterranean. This one with olive and figs in the background.
Thanks again, Joanna.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:45:08 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Centaurea ragusina
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2015, 05:09:39 AM »
A third photo from Joanna and I'm especially indebted to her for this one, on two counts. One, because the plant, Centaurea ragusina is a new one to me, and two, because it appears to fall into the category of rare and endangered plants that I wrote an article about for the Jan 2015 MGS magazine (79).  The very survival of some of these rare plants that are so endangered in the wild is being made possible because dedicated gardeners are growing and protecting them 'in captivity' as it were.
This plant it seems is a Croatian endemic that is included in that country's Red Data Book of Endangered Plants.
So, a double thank you, Joanna, for sharing this plant.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:45:25 AM by Alisdair »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2015, 08:13:26 AM »
Great to see it looking so fine in Joanna's garden, too!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society