Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

John J

Senna corymbosa
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2015, 07:11:49 AM »
Senna corymbosa nowhere near as drought tolerant as its relative, Senna artemesioides, but ours does reasonably well in the shade of some mature trees and given a good drink at regular intervals.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:58:45 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Hibiscus tiliaceus
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2015, 08:57:22 AM »
Flowers just beginning to open on one of our Hibiscus tiliaceus this morning. These trees are native to tropical areas and are described as thriving in 'coastal, swampy soils' and growing on 'beaches, by rivers and in mangrove swamps'. Our 2 are doing quite nicely in conditions that are probably as far away from that ideal as it is possible to get. They are shaded to a certain extent by more mature trees but get very little supplementary water in the summer.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:59:13 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Hibiscus syriacus
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2015, 07:17:23 AM »
 Hibiscus syriacus flower taken this morning on my early morning bimble around the garden. These shrubs seem to do well with us in dappled shade and given a drink at least once a week.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:59:35 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Waterlilies
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2015, 01:11:38 PM »
Not exactly drought tolerant but everyone's allowed one weakness, right?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:59:57 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Salvia patens 'Oceana Blue'
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2015, 12:34:25 PM »
Our Salvia 'Indigo Spires' appears to be standing up to the summer heat reasonably well so far.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:18:14 PM by John J »

John J

Tabernaemontana divaricata
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2015, 05:53:50 AM »
Our Tabernaemontana divaricata grows under a large avocado tree where it benefits from the shade provided by the tree and the irrigation provided for the tree.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:00:25 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Buddleja davidii
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2015, 04:53:39 AM »
When we bought this Buddleja davidii it was labelled as "Royal Red", but........???
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:00:47 AM by Alisdair »

David Dickinson

• Email
Dicliptera suberecta
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2015, 11:52:45 AM »
Another plant for today. Just like handwriting, choice of tie etc., I am sure that you can tell the personality of a person from the plants they choose. Well, this is one of my favourites. I generally prefer small flowers. There are exceptions, of course my Passiflora "Lady Margaret" being among them. I decided to try Dicliptera suberectahaving failed miserably three times with Zauschneria californica. Okay, they are not identical but I think I prefer Dicliptera anyway. It grows quickly, likes being in a pot, one is flowering quite happily in shade and another in full morning sun and it propagates easily from cuttings standing in water. It needs a little help with water over the summer (maybe not so when not in the ground?) but so far (2nd year) no pests. None of the dreaded spider mites and mealy bugs which attack a lot of my other plants. The one in the pic is also providing shade for a Clematis which is sending out shoots from another pot underneath it. Double the value  :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:01:46 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Rudbeckia gloriosa
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2015, 05:15:29 AM »
Rudbeckia gloriosa grown from seed by my wife.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:02:03 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Dicliptera suberecta
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2015, 07:43:55 AM »
Thanks for posting that photo, David, as it brought to mind another subject that has been raised recently. In the latest copy of the MGS Journal the President, Alisdair Aird, suggested trying to instigate a 'Cuttings Exchange' scheme amongst MGS members. The photo below is of one of our Dicliptera suberecta that we obtained as a cutting from the Athens garden of Fleur Pavlidis, one of the Moderators of this forum.
I'm sure that many of us have acquired any number of our own plants in this way, by informal exchange of cuttings. Imagine the possibilities if such a method could be formalised.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:03:12 AM by Alisdair »

David Dickinson

• Email
Passiflora coccinea x incarnata 'Lady Margaret'
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2015, 10:29:32 AM »
Hi John (and everybody else of course)

Yes, I saw Alasdair's opening article in the latest MGS journal and I would be very interested. In my own small way I try to contribute to Chantal's seed exchange but having only a small balcony I am limited to the number of seeds I can send both with regard to the actual number of seeds and the selection. Likewise, it would be me who would be the one to get the most benefit from a cuttings exchange! But I do know (as I said in earlier postings on this subject) that cuttings sent from me to my sisters in the UK nearly always survive the journey which is encouraging.

A cutting exchange need not be so organised as Chantal's seed bank as the cuttings would go directly from the provider to the recipient I would imagine. What we would need to be careful of is not breaching plant breeder's rights. And, if sent outside one's own country, export/import restrictions. I suppose each participant would decide what they wanted to do about recovering postage costs. I, for one, wouldn't be too worried about that but I could imagine somebody with large amounts of cuttings to supply would need to recover the costs in some way.

If the idea gets off the ground then maybe a first step might be to identify ourselves as "cutting exchange participant" or something of the kind on our profiles? That might even be redundant if all people have to do is send in a posting asking "can anybody supply cuttings of "X" to me in"Y"country"

Sending this reply gives me an excuse to post a picture of Passiflora "Lady Margaret" as "plant of the day. :)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:05:39 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Pandorea jasminoides 'Red Eyes'
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2015, 05:05:33 AM »
The MGS Facebook page recently featured Pandorea jasminoides as its cover photo. Those who know me will be aware that I am not only interested in plants but also in the derivation of their names and how they came by them. So, when we acquired our own Pandorea many years ago I wondered why it came to be named after Pandora, she of the infamous box of evils. This particular vine was one of many that had originally been placed in the genus Bignonia, and like the majority of the others was eventually removed thereby needing a new name. Apparently the type-species was associated with an insect plague that occurred on Norfolk Island and the name Pandorea was conjured up from that, showing perhaps that taxonomists of the day had imagination. However, they seem to have had an imagination failure when it came to renaming yet another Bignonia afterwards as the best they could think of was to make an anagram of Pandorea and so Podranea came into existence.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:06:13 AM by Alisdair »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »
As you can see, I've split this topic off as it definitely deserves its own thread - and thanks very much, John, for starting it and - with your various helpers - keeping it going so interestingly!
What would help very much would be if when you do post new "Plants of the Day", you always changed the Subject from "Re: Plant of the Day" to the name of the plant...
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

Tecoma 'Orange Jubilee'
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2015, 05:08:11 AM »
Another genus that started off as Bignonia is that of Tecoma. The photo shows what I have thought of as Tecoma stans 'Orange Jubilee' but am led to believe is now Tecoma alata. My ageing brain finds it difficult to cope with all these changes!!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:47:37 AM by Alisdair »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Plant of the Day - Tecoma 'Orange Jubilee'
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2015, 09:53:46 AM »
Just to muddy the waters even further, John, the taxonomists now call your lovely plant Tecoma fulva subsp. guarume  :'(
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society