Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

Charithea

Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #450 on: November 02, 2020, 05:05:42 PM »
It was a nice surprise for you David. Thank you for the wishes.Not much time to check on the flowers as we have been picking olives since Saturday morning. This year I have not help from my sister and her husband. They have health problems but luckily my nephew and my visiting Canadian cousin have offered to help. I love olive trees but having done the olive picking for over 65 years I now find it Hard. I have a photo of two 70 +year olds on the tree. I will post it as soon as I finish the olive picking.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - goodbye to one old friend and hello to another.
« Reply #451 on: November 02, 2020, 11:20:02 PM »
Ipomoea indica is looking unhappy with the cooler nights and will soon go into 'hibernation' waiting for the warmer days next spring. Salvia 'Anthony Parker' is looking in fine form even though it has only bracts on show for the moment. The bracts always remind me of those short videos you see of drops of coloured ink being dropped into water and swirling around as the ink and water merge.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #452 on: November 02, 2020, 11:26:44 PM »
Good luck with the olive picking Charithea - hope you get a bumper crop. Do you use them all for oil or do cure some too?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #453 on: November 03, 2020, 09:47:16 AM »
Age does not deter the dedicated olive picker!! ???
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - Chrysanthemum
« Reply #454 on: November 11, 2020, 12:26:04 PM »
This was a supermarket rescue with no specific name but it is giving me a little autumnal colour just now.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Phlox subulata
« Reply #455 on: March 24, 2021, 02:37:39 AM »
I too am pushing out the boundaries. Cheap offer of plug-plants too good to miss. I got 5 different varieties of Phlox subulata. This one is called "Emerald Cushion Blue". It has survived the winter. I hope I will be able to write in autumn that it has survived the summer as well. I am always on the look out for creeping plants that will take full sun over the summer. Fingers crossed :)

John J

« Reply #456 on: May 17, 2021, 10:25:32 AM »
I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided it could be a Plant of the day. The Brazilian red cloak, although I believe it is not native to that country but to the rainforests of Venezuela in particular. Goes under the very imposing botanical name of Megaskepasma erythrochlamys.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #457 on: May 17, 2021, 11:11:16 AM »
Snap
The name  seemed familiar and there it was in my computer, October 2006 in a hothouse in Vienna
There wasn't very much in flower  in the hothouse at the time so I was glad to see this
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #458 on: May 17, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »
We found ours in the most unlikely of places a few years ago. In one of those family run nurseries, the sort that you could pass by and not even realise what it was as there wasn't a sign outside displaying a name or advertising it as a retail outlet. We had known it for many years but hadn't visited for a very long time when, about 3/4 years ago, we decided to take along some members of a gardening group we are involved with. We hadn't realised that since our last visit the husband had passed away and the wife was struggling to carry on while trying to run down the business and close it up. While looking around we spotted this plant that we hadn't come across before. Out of curiosity we bought one and it prospered. We also tried cuttings from it and 3 survived.
I have to admit that these are the sort of nurseries that I like. The flashy, showy ones are sometimes just that, all flash and show, no substance, but these little ones often have real gems tucked away in corners.

Hilary

« Reply #459 on: May 17, 2021, 07:32:35 PM »
This thread is full of interesting posts and lovely photos
Congratulations
MGS member

John J

« Reply #460 on: May 18, 2021, 05:47:21 AM »
An Epiphyllum hybrid almost looking to give off its own light.

Hilary

« Reply #461 on: May 18, 2021, 07:32:56 AM »
Uplifting
MGS member

John J

« Reply #462 on: May 24, 2021, 08:56:27 AM »
I couldn't resist posting this on this thread as it lives up to the name, each flower lasting but one day. It also lives up to its botanical name of Hemerocallis, hemera - day and kallos - beauty.

John J

« Reply #463 on: June 04, 2021, 05:46:32 AM »
An excellent plant for hot, dry gardens is the Uruguayan Firecracker Plant, Dicliptera suberecta. It bursts into flame in even the hottest weather.

John J

« Reply #464 on: July 09, 2021, 08:34:38 AM »
We have 4 species of Clerodendrum, 3 of which are currently in flower, C. x speciosum, C. chinense, C. bungei. The fourth we acquired as a rooted cutting from Sue Wake, owner of the Lagou Raxi Hotel in Pelion, Greece when we stayed there a couple of years ago. C. trichotomum var fargesii is still too small to flower.