Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #375 on: May 24, 2018, 06:36:20 AM »
I have managed to overwinter this plant for many years since receiving it from a fellow MGS member living in Italy who's particular passion is climbing plants. With me it has also self seeded quite prolifically some years. I love its delicate habit and foliage and its long flowering season although mine is not yet in flower.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #376 on: May 24, 2018, 08:09:35 AM »
Presumably it needs pretty regular watering through the summer, David? Very interesting that it survived this last fierce winter for you (which was wet too, wasn't it?).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #377 on: May 24, 2018, 10:04:31 AM »
Hi Alisdair and Umbrian

Early winter was mild and not too wet. Just before the extreme cold of February there had been a lot of rain, which probably accounts for why the succulents suffered so much for the second winter running. I do water in the summer but the plant is not such a big drinker as it might appear. I never water anything during the winter months. Spring and autumn in Rome usually have enough rainfall  though October is usually dry. Much drier than September some years.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day- Hemerocallis 'Wild Horses'
« Reply #378 on: May 29, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »
Our 'Wild Horses' is back but does not seem to have been able to drag 'My Reggae Tiger' that was planted close by with it.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Sprekelia formosissima
« Reply #379 on: June 18, 2018, 12:01:48 AM »
Decided to put this here rather than under "bulbs". Largely because I never have much luck with it after it has flowered and buy a new bulb each year. No matter what I do it usually rots for me. Just got back in time from the UK to see  this flower in its last stages.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day- Hibiscus trionum
« Reply #380 on: June 25, 2018, 06:24:32 AM »
First flower opened this morning on a plant grown from seed supplied by Caroline, my wife says to thank you very much for the kindness.
David, the ones you sent her are growing but are a bit behind Caroline's and not yet ready to flower. Thanks for those too.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #381 on: June 25, 2018, 09:10:27 AM »
Hi John

We have had so much rain and cool weather that mine are way behind. I wouldn't expect flowers  for another month yet.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #382 on: June 26, 2018, 05:32:09 AM »
Lovely foliage making the wait for the beautiful flower well worth while.......
A lovely plant, new to me.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Caroline

« Reply #383 on: June 27, 2018, 12:14:37 AM »
Excellent, I'm pleased to see the seeds came up despite the change in hemisphere. :)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #384 on: June 27, 2018, 02:31:42 AM »
Thanks so much Caroline. This is a plant I will grow year after year. This year, however, I am also growing  Hibiscus sabdariffa. I wonder if the seeds each produce will be  hybrids?

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Commelina erecta
« Reply #385 on: June 29, 2018, 07:44:29 AM »
Competing with the Mediterranean sky for 'blueness'(?). A somewhat straggly ground cover that can become invasive if allowed to roam.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #386 on: June 29, 2018, 10:57:17 AM »
Certainly can become invasive John but very easy to pull up and keep under control. Last year I had one plant in a pot and this year seedlings have come up in places well away from the parent plant. I can only assume that the seeds are transported by birds as the parent couldn't have spread out of the pot and the seeds are too heavy to be carried by the wind. Judging by the number of seedlings this year the parent plant must have produced hundreds of seeds.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #387 on: June 30, 2018, 06:31:17 AM »
The 'photo does not really do justice to the colour as so often happens - it is truly a most beautiful and intense blue. Seeds please David!

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Ipomoea carnea ssp fistulosa
« Reply #388 on: July 01, 2018, 07:22:04 AM »
The 'Bush Ipomoea' as it doesn't climb like its cousins. In our climate we find it benefits from some shade during the heat of the day and a reasonable amount of water.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #389 on: July 01, 2018, 09:01:17 AM »
Will get seeds to you Umbrian.  :)