Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

John J

Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #330 on: June 15, 2017, 06:41:40 AM »
David, our C. cneorum finished flowering some time ago too but the C. oleifolius has carried right on through.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Canna hybrids
« Reply #331 on: June 18, 2017, 12:19:12 AM »
 C. oleifolius looks very interesting especially if it gives a longer or different flowering period than C. cneorum

On a different thread, way back in the cold of January I wrote that so many thinks had been completely cut back by the long period of sub zero temperatures. I worried for my Canna hybrid plants but, as you can see, I needn't have. Two different types came into flower a couple of days ago. The pale yellow one I raised from seed of a pink parent
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #332 on: June 20, 2017, 08:26:30 AM »
I realize that it's a couple of years since Hibiscus syriacus featured on this thread but our plants are bursting into full bloom now.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Cyclamen
« Reply #333 on: June 21, 2017, 12:37:02 AM »
Another strange plant to be posting as "Plant of the Day" in the baking heat of June. This flower sprang up a couple of days ago and hasn't been frazzled by the short spell of afternoon sun it receives
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - Crataegus mexicana
« Reply #334 on: June 21, 2017, 02:36:23 PM »
Right on the winter solstice in the Southern Hemisphere we have the Mexican Hawthorn still in full leaf and loaded with golden fruit.
We also have the red-fruited hybrid, Crataegus 'Smithiana' which is shedding foliage as the fruit ripens
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Caesalpinia gilliesii
« Reply #335 on: June 30, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »
I grew this from seed and this is its third summer and its first flower. It was almost destroyed by the very cold winter but one stem survived. After it has finished flowering I think I will cut it back a little to encourage branching ad stake it up to encourage vertical growth.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Tithonia rotundifolia "Red Torch"
« Reply #336 on: July 31, 2017, 01:10:19 AM »
I have been experimenting with a few annuals this year. One of them is Tithonia rotundifolia "Red Torch" (seeds from Special Plants, UK). I have a few plants dotted around and the first flowered for me a couple of days back. Seeds were sown in late february under glass and quickly germinated.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Hibiscus trionum
« Reply #337 on: September 18, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »
This year, now that I have a little more space, I have been growing some annuals. Hibiscus trionum is one that has been very successful. A high germination rate from the seed and the plants have coped well with the high temperatures of the early part of summer. With some watering, of course. I'll be sending some seed to Chantal shortly.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Plant of the Day - Caesalpinia
« Reply #338 on: September 19, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »
Going back to your previous post, I'm surprised your Caesalpinia was harmed by the cold. I've never seen any damage on mine even after frosts which cut young Jacaranda and Grevillea robusta to the ground. Anyway I assure you Caesalpinia can take any amount of hacking. They spring up all round my garden so I have to keep them in order with regular severe pruning.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #339 on: September 19, 2017, 11:58:02 PM »
Hi Fleur,

We were at -6°C  at night for about 6 days and the day time temperatures just got up to around 0°C by early morning in January. The soil was frozen for most of that time. Very unusual for Rome. It was milder in the north than it was for us. Cestrum nocturnum (grown from seed a few years back), 2 different Epiphyllums and Ipomea indica grown from a cutting were just some of the plants that didn't make it through at all.

by the way, the Caesalpinia has made a great comeback. Just the one flower (posted earlier) but lots of  side branches. Looking much better after the equally extreme summer we have had.

Charithea

« Reply #340 on: September 20, 2017, 06:00:49 PM »
Hi David. I love your Hibiscus trionum and I shall ask for some seeds from the seed bank. My Anthony Parker has grown BIG and it is finely getting ready to flower. I will post a picture as soon as it flowers.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Plant of the Day Caesalpinia
« Reply #341 on: September 20, 2017, 08:03:19 PM »
That was quite cold! I'm in central London at the moment and after reading your reply I've offered to dig up a seedling to bring here to live on my brother's balcony. He already has a lemon tree and a Judas tree doing well.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Hibiscus coccineus
« Reply #342 on: September 21, 2017, 04:42:52 AM »
I also grew this from seed and after 3 years it is now flowering for the first time. I keep the soil moist but I wouldn't say it was boggy. So, although it is called "Swamp Hibiscus", the soil doesn't need to be too wet. I grow it alongside Ruellia brittoniana and they both have done very well this year for me. The Ruellia was cut back to ground level with the -6°C of January and took a while to show signs of life again in the spring. The Hibiscus is a herbaceous perennial anyway. I only wish my herbaceous Salvia sinaloensis had been so resilient. It never came back after its dormant winter period. A sad loss because I found it a very attractive plant.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #343 on: September 21, 2017, 04:49:13 AM »
Hi Charithea

Good to hear that your Salvia "Anthony Parker" has taken off.  :)

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Emilia coccinea
« Reply #344 on: September 21, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »
Another annual I am growing this year, and intend to continue doing so, is Emilia coccinea. I like small delicate flowers and the foliage is a fresh green colour. Not needing half as much water as you might expect though it did get some watering. Very obligingly it quickly covered the sides of the large black buckets I am using as plant pots. Much cheaper than very large plant pots and the handles come in as very useful when I need to move them around (dragging as they are very heavy). Easy to drill holes in the bottom of them.