Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Anthylis barba-jovis
« Reply #270 on: April 10, 2016, 12:42:50 PM »
I believe when I included this plant on the A-Z list I said it was not yet old enough to flower, well it has now come of age.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fermi

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - Cyclamen graecum
« Reply #271 on: April 10, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
This is one of the Cyclamen graecum raised from seed from the NARGS Seedex many years ago. I planted it in a space between the rocks as I'd seen pictures of them growing this way in the wild,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #272 on: April 10, 2016, 03:41:51 PM »
what a beautiful colour Firmi
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Pallenis maritima
« Reply #273 on: April 11, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
Following the cracks in the path.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #274 on: April 11, 2016, 12:22:44 PM »
John,
I had no idea Asteriscus maritimus had changed its name to Pallenis maritima! :o
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

« Reply #275 on: April 11, 2016, 02:10:44 PM »
Fermi,
I often wonder if there are some taxonomists out there with a nasty sense of humour that go around changing the names of plants just to tax the ageing brains of people like me. I spend years memorizing names only to find that they are no longer accepted and I have to start all over again. >:(

John J

Re: Plant of the Day -Strelitzia reginae
« Reply #276 on: April 12, 2016, 04:51:42 AM »
Ours has been producing its 'birds' for a few weeks now.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Bougainvillea
« Reply #277 on: April 13, 2016, 07:36:39 AM »
Ours is in full flame right now.

John J

« Reply #278 on: May 10, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »
This thread has been a little neglected of late but here is a low maintenance shrub, Spartium junceum. The strange weather patterns we've been experiencing this year seem to have affected a lot of the spring flowering plants, these included as they are only now beginning to bloom, almost a month later than normal.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #279 on: May 11, 2016, 05:40:22 AM »
Whereas here in Italy the Spartium junceum is in glorious full bloom already, about a month earlier than usual.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #280 on: May 12, 2016, 12:11:38 PM »
And I lost my four Spartium bushes the last two years, I have no explanation why. They are in full bloom everywhere here in Halkidiki now, obviously the season for insects liking yellow.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:08:09 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day Jasmine "Clotted Cream"
« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2016, 11:31:43 AM »
I bought the "Clotted Cream" last year in the uk. It grew well on my balcony in a pot but didn't produce any flowers. When I moved house at Christmas all the plants were left in their pots in the garden (and most of them still are even now!). This year at ground level and more sheltered from drying breezes, it has decided to start flowering. I have included a picture of my standard white Jasmine to show the difference in colour and the difference in flower shape. The perfume is equally good in both.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #282 on: May 22, 2016, 11:59:16 AM »
Well spotted Alisdair, must confess that I hadn't noticed the six petalled flower! I will keep an eye on the flowers as they open during the next few weeks and let you know if this was a one-off, or not.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #283 on: May 23, 2016, 11:53:33 AM »
Two more six-petalled Jasmines today and one four-petalled. Looking at the photo it seems that one petal has fallen off the latter but in real life they form an almost perfect cross. Now I'll have to keep an eye open for four-petalled flowers too!

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant of the Day Houttuynia cordata
« Reply #284 on: May 29, 2016, 09:31:08 PM »
This plant struggled on for years on my balcony, I tried full shade, part shade, the lot. When I moved house at Christmas pots were placed randomly in the garden. Houttuynia cordata was put in afternoon sun. The plant has not been moved since and has not been repotted yet, From the tiniest little shoot that survived the balcony experience and winter in the new place, new life has sprung forth and I just noticed a first flower this evening (low light, hence he poor quality photo). I bought it originally as I read it was tolerant of full shade but it seems to enjoy full sun even more.