Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Medicago arborea
« Reply #240 on: February 08, 2016, 02:38:56 PM »
Beginning to awaken from its summer dormancy.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Phlomis lunariifolia
« Reply #241 on: February 09, 2016, 06:01:38 AM »
The phlomis are preparing to add their shade of yellow to the spring display.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Phlomis lunariifolia
« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2016, 08:43:45 AM »
That's a very attractive Phlomis, John, which I've never heard of before. Is it endemic to Cyprus? Common there?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #243 on: February 09, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »
According to the information that I have, Alisdair, it's indigenous to Cyprus but can also be found in southern Turkey. Of the handful of phlomis that occur in Cyprus 2 are described as rare endemic and 2 as rare indigenous, so I guess this species is the commonest of the bunch from that aspect.

John J

« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »
Following on from Umbrian's post regarding her Jasminum nudiflorum our yellow jasmine (Jasminum mesnyi) is also bursting into life.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Senna artemesioides
« Reply #245 on: February 10, 2016, 05:56:49 AM »
One more plant adding not only its own touch of yellow to the garden but also its incomparable scent.

John J

« Reply #246 on: February 10, 2016, 06:04:37 AM »
Continuing the yellow theme, should Sunflowers be out this early? This is one from a batch of seed packets that my wife picked up when we were in UK last July 'celebrating' my XXth birthday with my family. The packets said they were from the Eden Project if I recall correctly and were being sold in aid of charity.  ???

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #247 on: February 10, 2016, 07:37:05 AM »
Yes. John, my Jasminum Mesnyi is also coming into flower - very early. A very strange year.
The nudiflorum has of course been cheering us up for weeks. The other day I saw a hedge of it that looked stunning, unfortunately I was in my car and there was nowhere suitable to stop and take a 'photo.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Crassula ovata
« Reply #248 on: February 11, 2016, 06:07:40 AM »
I seem to have been neglecting the succulents, many of which are also coming into their own at this time of year.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Kalanchoe blossfeldiana
« Reply #249 on: February 12, 2016, 05:57:12 AM »
Sticking with the succulents for today.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Araucaria heterophylla
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2016, 05:49:31 AM »
Our Norfolk Island Pine silhouetted against the February sky.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »
Another early bloomer after our mild winter Coronilla glauca.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - Nerine filifolia
« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2016, 12:14:05 PM »
The first nerine in our garden this year is Nerine filifolia now identified as N. masoniorum, actually in a pot as I only got it from a friend last year,
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:52:10 PM by Fermi »
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2016, 08:05:38 AM »
Particularly pleased to find this beauty - the first time this Hellebore has produced flowers for several years. It is in a spot that is very dry but I have been afraid to move it since I know to my cost that Hellebores resent disturbance. I lost a dark purple/maroon one when trying to re- locate it. The happy side of that though was that two or three years later I found a seedling in bloom nearby that was almost as dark.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Eremophila
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2016, 09:11:37 AM »
Two for the price of one, Eremophila glabra and E. maculata 'Aurea'.