Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

Joanna Savage

Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #225 on: December 22, 2015, 06:32:30 AM »
Fermi, re Indigofera pseudotinctoria, do you know why the 'pseudo' in the specific name? Is your plant the same as the plant traditionally used for dyeing Indigo? It is a wonderful dye colour but somehow it is surprising to see pink flowers on the plant.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #226 on: December 28, 2015, 05:00:16 PM »
Finding time to escape to the garden this afternoon I was assailed by the scent of my Chimonanthus praecox making the time even more enjoyable.
It is a large bush and still retaining its leaves although they are yellow and fall easily when touched but  that is why I had not noticed the flowers before. During the summer we had the roof re-tiled and the workmen hacked away at it quite brutally much to my dismay but obviously ot has not come to any harm - in fact I think it has more flowers than normal.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Clerodendrum x speciosum
« Reply #227 on: December 30, 2015, 06:10:02 AM »
Our plants are bursting into flower in this mild weather we are still experiencing. So many areas of the world are under water due to excessive rain and we are getting none.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Lonicera fragrantissima
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2016, 08:43:37 AM »
Coming into full bloom now and competing with a nearby Chimonanthus praecox regarding perfume. I actually prefer the pure,sharp scent of the Lonicera. When I took the 'photo early this morning the bees were already about and seeking it out.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Plectranthus neochilus
« Reply #229 on: January 14, 2016, 08:55:43 AM »
Good ground cover plant. Some people find the smell of the foliage a little overpowering.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Melia azedarach
« Reply #230 on: January 18, 2016, 11:35:48 AM »
Seeds of the Indian Bead Tree silhouetted against gathering rain clouds today. They used to attract Egyptian Fruit Bats but we haven't been visited by them for several years now, possibly due to the destruction of their roosting sites.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Euphorbia veneris
« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2016, 12:30:49 PM »
Aphrodite's spurge, a Cyprus endemic, glowing in this morning's sunlight.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - Lycoris incarnata
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2016, 02:26:23 PM »
This is the first Lycoris that I got to flower here in central Victoria.
It is quick to flower as there was nothing showing a week ago, but sadly they fade very quickly,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Daisy

« Reply #233 on: February 01, 2016, 01:27:37 PM »
The first of this years beautiful, blowsy, hybrid tulips from Lidl.

jan 2016 005 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

jan 2016 009 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

jan 2016 010 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

...and there are still plenty to come.

jan 2016 012 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »
Photos of your lovely garden are as welcome as usual, Daisy.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2016, 09:06:29 AM »
Very early into full flower this year after a mild winter (so far) a young Mimosa that I planted last April.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2016, 09:11:23 AM »
What happened to my photograph? Will try again.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #237 on: February 04, 2016, 09:14:30 AM »
Oh dear - sorry about that!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #238 on: February 05, 2016, 07:59:03 AM »
Visited our house in the country yesterday and the Mimosa there is still in tight  bud - what a difference nearly 500 metres in height can make. The Jasminum nudiflorum was in full flow however - a really good winter performer withstanding summer drought well.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:02:04 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Ipomoea purpurea 'Star of Yalta'
« Reply #239 on: February 05, 2016, 04:22:37 PM »
Grown from a seed obtained through the MGS seed exchange last year. Thank you, Chantal.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:59:01 PM by Alisdair »