Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Thunbergia grandiflora
« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2015, 08:18:20 AM »
Again not mine although we do have one, not in flower at the moment. This one is in the gardens of La Mortella on Ischia.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant of the Day Plumbago auriculata var alba + Ipomea
« Reply #181 on: November 05, 2015, 09:49:03 AM »
The variety alba is still going strong on my balcony whereas the blue one has stopped flowering. Alba started later too and this was also the pattern last year.

While I was taking the photo of the alba I noticed that an Ipomea was sending a shoot down to the balcony below. I had almost given up hope on the Ipomea when, two days ago, a beautiful blue flower appeared. There are still some more buds but they may not open as colder nights are beginning to set in.

I am about to send the same photos of the Ipomea to the plant identification thread. The leaves are very different from John's "Heavenly Blue" both in shape and texture. I have grown it from a cutting and this might suggest that it is a perennial? I hope so.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Tecoma stans
« Reply #182 on: November 06, 2015, 07:16:45 AM »
In flower now as is the orange variety known as 'Orange Jubilee'.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Tecoma capensis
« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2015, 08:23:17 AM »
Tecoma capensis in a part of one of our boundary hedges. Why is it that more flowers tend to appear on the outside of hedges than inside, so that passers-by get the main benefit? There must be some sort of law governing this phenomenon.

JTh

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2015, 10:43:10 AM »
Maybe the direction in relation to the sun, is it sunnier on the outside?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - Asphodeline damascena
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
The parent of this Asphodeline damascena was grown from seed from (I think) NARGS Seedex though I couldn't tell the difference between it and A. taurica when I had them both in flower,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »
Jorun, thanks for a sensible answer to what was a tongue in cheek question. Actually the inside of this particular hedge gets more sun than the outside, but it doesn't seem to make a difference, all our hedges seem to have a tendency to flower better on the outside than in. Ungrateful little devils! >:(

Hilary

« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2015, 05:13:07 PM »
Tecoma capensis.
Afew years ago I went wandering round the streets of Corinth looking for flowers to snap.
I found this plant hanging over a fence and spent ages trying to get a good photo, whenever the wind stopped.
The owner of the house or a neighbour came out and asked me what I was doing. I must have looked very suspicious!
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Fermi

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - Banksia petiolaris
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2015, 08:16:19 AM »
One of the trailing species of banksia; grown from a young seedling many years ago,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant of the Day Cotyledon tomentosa (?)
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2015, 09:44:31 AM »

Browsing through my new books on succulents ("The Timberland Press Guide to Succulent Plants of the World", Fred Dortot, and "Succulents: The Illustrated Dictionary" + "Succulents II: The New Illustrated Dictionary", Maurizio Sajeva & Mariangela Costanzo) I have come to the conclusion that what I always thought was some kind of Kalanchoe is, in fact, Cotyledon tomentosa subsp tomentosa. (Sent posting to "ID" topic for confirmation). 

Whatever the plant is, it is flowering now on my balcony. :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Retama raetam
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »
Exceptionally drought tolerant shrub that produces masses of fragrant flowers in spring. Too early for mine to be in flower, this one is on a hillside in Morocco.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Hibiscus mutabilis
« Reply #191 on: November 14, 2015, 01:26:17 PM »
Going from white to red.

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant of the Day Salvia madrensis.
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2015, 12:19:32 AM »
In flower for the first time this morning. Lots more flower spikes appearing but will they beat the cold nights which are setting in and flower? Mine is the "Red Neck Girl" variety but the red stems are not visible in the photo.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Murraya paniculata
« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2015, 08:53:57 AM »
The first flowers of the season beginning to open on one of our bushes. As they are related to citrus the scent from the blossom is equally pleasant.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Cyclamen
« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2015, 05:54:52 AM »
This particular one is the Cyprus endemic and National Flower, Cyclamen cyprium, displaying the quite distinctive magenta M.