Joanna Savage

Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
Avocado?

John J

« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2015, 04:47:35 AM »
Well spotted, Joanna. :)
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Caroline

« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2015, 09:15:50 AM »
Sorry to have caused you extra bother, John - if you will float these teasers past us yokels at the bottom of the world.... ;)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant of the Day - Pavonia spinifex
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2015, 12:09:56 PM »
I wrote some time back asking for help in growing single flowered Kerria japonica in mediterranean climates. The replies were not very encouraging and sad experience has proven them right. However, I think I have found my substitute in Pavonia spinifex. Not identical of course but similar colour flowers and leaves similar in size and shape. It is my plant's first year but it is doing well and has already produced seed.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:32:04 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2015, 04:58:48 AM »
Your Pavonia spinifex is doing well David, but has given  me a query. Do you know anything about the origin of the specific name 'spinifex'? It is hard to imagine any greater difference than that between your plant and the arid-growing grass Spinifex.

John J

« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2015, 07:21:32 AM »
Pardon me for butting in on this, David and Joanna, but as you no doubt know spinifex means spiky and the seed pods of Pavonia spinifex are very spiky and can be quite dangerously irritating if they get under the skin.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2015, 07:28:50 AM »
Caroline, I sincerely hope I haven't said or done anything to infer that I think people from your part of the globe are yokels! :o
I have met some extremely pleasant people from down there over the years and spent 3 good ones attached to ANZUK Forces in Singapore, working alongside Australians and New Zealanders.  :D

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Ceratostigma
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2015, 07:33:22 AM »
Ceratostigma plumbaginoides, still very small but establishing well under our limited watering regime.

Caroline

« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2015, 08:01:31 AM »
Absolutely not, John - I was pointing the finger back at myself as I 'm usually quite good at word association.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Another Plant of the Day - Campsis radicans
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2015, 09:36:35 AM »
Hilary has just put up another plant of the day, adding pictures of Campsis radicans to the thread on this climber which you can find by clicking here. Thanks, Hilary!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Joanna Savage

« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2015, 10:31:09 AM »
Spinifex. Oh Dear. Thanks for putting me right on the meaning John. Of course it is obvious, once you know. My young days were spent near spinifex country and it had never occurred to me to wonder about the meaning. It simply meant having to wearb shoes outside the back gate as there were too many burrs and spines for even the most hardened feet.

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant of the Day - Maurandya barclayana
« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2015, 12:00:13 PM »
Plant of the day seems to have gone off the boil a little so I thought I would be excused by sending in an old picture of a plant which is currently flowering for me (no time to take a new one as work is calling). Maurandya barclayana is a lovely delicate-looking climber which takes all the sun mother nature can blast at it providing it has a little water once a week. And that is in a pot. Good chance to plug Chantal's seed exchange again which was the source of the seed.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:08:36 PM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant of the Day - Sternbergia lutea
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2015, 10:35:57 AM »
Sternbergia lutea is just beginning to show on my balcony. The first flower on those I have in a pot opened this morning. I have been watching  leaves grow on what was evidently a stray bulb in among my succulents for at least a couple of years and waiting to see what flower eventually came up. Sternbergia lutea showed this morning. I don't know if it self-seeded or if a little bulblet got detached and fell in among the Crassula it is growing through. Very happy to have it whichever is the case :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:34:06 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Blue potato bush
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2015, 08:24:38 AM »
Afraid I have neglected this thread a bit of late as with the daytime temperatures here still over 30 and no sign of rain on the horizon finding plants in flower is no easy matter. However, the following plant does flower for most of the summer even with limited water, although not so profusely as during the cooler months and with smaller individual flowers. I've always known it as Solanum rantonnetii but it seems I now have to learn to call it Lycianthes rantonnetii.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2015, 09:08:36 AM »
I am just about to start the task of putting new labels on all my plants so your info about the name change came just in time. Thanks :)

PS mine, in a pot, didn't start flowering again until about a week ago. I get some flowers early summer and then very little until September.