NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is 7

• 7 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is 7
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:28:50 AM »
I hope you don't have this invader in your vegetable patch - photographed in ours (in UK) this morning.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:39:23 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

Re: Guess what this is 7
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:09:40 PM »
I think I know but I'll just say does the genera begin with P and the species begins with a?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:06:52 PM »
I agree - it is P. a.; and I would go so far as to say Ph. am.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »
John's clue is right, but Mike's follow-up takes you down a wrong turn - beware. Species name required!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »
Alisdair
I recognized it while i was taking a nap with my eyes closed.... ;D ;)
Phyt. aci.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:00:31 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:12:37 AM »
Ah yes; quite right Oron - Phtyol. acino.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:26:48 AM »
Brilliant as usual, Oron! Phytolacca acinosa. We grew it originally from seed from Sikkim, planted out one plant. Birds distribute the seeds too liberally, and it is invasive (like its much better-known though less striking relative P. americana). Important to get the seedlings out in their first year as they develop very deep permanent roots.
This large perennial, growing to about a metre and a half, is quite a handsome plant, particularly in fruit. (And in the Himalayas they do boil the leaves as a veg, though we've never tried it.)
Alisdair Aird

JTh

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 11:14:49 AM »
I wouldn't feel tempted to eat anything from this plants, which is poisonous. The leaves are said to be safe to eat when young, but the toxins developing as they grow older. It has a lot of medicinal uses, from my own field I know it is being used to kill water snails that cause schistosomosis (bilharziosis).
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.