Pereskia ID'd by Alessandra as P. grandifolia

• 3 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Pereskia ID'd by Alessandra as P. grandifolia
« on: June 21, 2015, 11:42:31 PM »
And if I am, am I the only one of my kind without the ferocious spines that everyone is talking about?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:28:46 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Am I Pereskia grandiflora?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 09:36:59 AM »

I found some information on this online encyclopedia which says that Pereskia grandiflora is very variable re spines and sometimes has none at all. So, my plant probably is Pereskia grandiflora. Is there any other similar plant I should be considering?

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Family/Cactaceae/19667/Pereskia_grandifolia
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:34:59 AM »
Actually, the  accepted scientific name is Pereskia grandifolia Haw. (not grandiflora, this name had been discarded) and yes, yours looks like it. I noticed that the really fierceful thorns develop as the plant matures, so yours could just be still in its prime.
Our Pereskia aculeata, which is enormous (the size of a well grown bouganvillea) has very ferocious spines. 
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:48:51 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation Alevin. Help like this always appreciated. I shall keep a watchful eye for the spines. My plant is actually about 10 years old. I thought it had died but it had actually been smothered by other succulents around it. I rediscovered it this year and repotted it. It gave me several flowers and has sent out 2 new side shoots. Maybe those spines will start to appear now that it is free to grow? Hope not. :)