1 cup raisins
2 tbsp chopped crystallised ginger
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1tsp ground ginger
1/4tsp cayenne pepper
juice of 2 lemons
1 cup white wine vinegar
 Peel and slice the kiwifruit, finely chop the onions and slice the bananas.  Combine with the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring often.  Gently boil for about 1- 11/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until soft and thick.  Allow to cool, then spoon into clean jars and seal.

Kiwifruit and apple chutney

500gr apples
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup sultanas
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinammon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2tsp cumin
750 gr kiwifruit
Peel, quarter and core the apples and cut them into 1 cm cubes.  Peel and finely chop the garlic. In a large saucepan combine all ingredients except kiwifruit. Stir together, bring to the boil and boil, uncovered, very gently for 20 minutes, stirring often. meanwhile, peel the kiwifruit and cut into 1cm cubes. Add to the apple mixture, bring to the boil and cook very slowly, stirring oftern, until the chutney is thickened.  Spoon into hot, clean jars and seal. 

I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Hilary

Re: Kiwifruit chutney
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 07:06:06 AM »
many thanks for both recipes
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care