Trachelium caeruleum

• 4 Replies

Alice

Trachelium caeruleum
« on: June 19, 2015, 05:33:45 PM »
Trachelium caeruleum "Lake Michigan Violet", grown from seed and planted out in February, is flowering now. Interesting flower colour, though a bit darker than I expected.
In two others, planted about a month ago in an area with no shade, the leaf colour has turned almost black.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Daisy

Re: Trachelium caeruleum
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:01:33 AM »
I love the look of this perennial. I would love to know how long it flowers for.
Alice, please keep us updated.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alice

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 08:07:50 AM »
Daisy, it started producing its flower spikes a few weeks ago and the tiny flowers started opening around the 10th of June. Ten days later the flowers have not faded at all and there are many new flower spikes appearing. I will not be here over summer to track its performance but will let you know in September how it has coped with the summer stresses.
T. caeruleum is a native of the western Mediterranean.
The plant in the photo is situated in front of a Campsis grandiflora and I hope the orange and dark purple will contrast nicely. I can just imagine it with your wonderful roses!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Daisy

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 08:12:57 AM »
That is great information Alice. I can just imagine it with your campsis.
Yes please, do update us in September.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 10:17:29 AM »
Really interesting colour, Alice: thanks for tipping us off about this notebook-worthy one!

Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society