Mystery plant in Greece

• 7 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Mystery plant in Greece
« on: June 06, 2015, 09:32:18 AM »
Today Mo Forbes asked on our Facebook page: Can any one help me? I saw some beautiful flowers in a Greek lady's garden today . It had a sort of cosmos leaf but tall spiky flowers. The Greek lady called it Kapochino. Any one know what that is? Thank you
No picture I'm afraid, but she'd be glad of an answer if this strikes a chord with any of you...
Incidentally today's cover picture there is of part of the MGS garden at Sparoza, taken by Davina Michaelides - most Saturdays there's a new Sparoza picture there
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:34:18 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

Re: Mystery plant in Greece
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:06:45 AM »
Alisdair, in Cyprus Delphiniums are known as Kapoutsinos. Could that be it?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 04:30:30 PM »
Thanks for the idea, John: I'll suggest that to her.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Joanna Savage

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 05:13:56 AM »
Alisdair and John, Apparently the Italian word 'capucino ' derives from Capuchin monks. They in turn derive the name from 'cappuccio' , a monk's hood. So it would not be surprising if Delphiniums, with their hooded flowers also derived a common name from 'cappuccio', or its Latin equivalent.

John J

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 10:38:35 AM »
Joanna, that sounds a very likely explanation. Cypriot Greek did absorb words from the languages of the various ruling nations over the centuries, including from the time of the Venetians.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Miriam

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 01:02:42 PM »
Maybe Ratibida columnifera
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 07:25:31 AM »
Mo Forbes's original description certainly matches the Ratibida much more closely than a delphinium does, Miriam! But back on facebook she's now said that John's suggestion of a delphinium seems right. (And in a Greek garden I think it's far more likely to see a delphinium than a Mexican cone flower....)

By the way, thanks very much for all your help in putting names to people's ID pictures, Miriam. You're an encyclopedia!
Alisdair Aird

Kriticat

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 10:44:41 AM »
Perhaps it's a butterfly delphinium, they are quite common in Crete, even naturalising in the cracks in village streets
20 years gardening on a handkerchief in London, now creating a much bigger plot in the south of Crete...much to learn