Squirrels

• 1 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Squirrels
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:45:15 AM »
Having shut up our house in the country for the winter, two(at least) squirrels have taken advantage of the peace and quiet to make their home in our garden. I first spotted them when arriving to do some gardening one day and now we are back they are to be seen almost daily. Whilst sitting in the house the other afternoon I saw branches on the close by Fig tree waving about and there was a squirrel nibbling at the young figs. I shooed it away but within minutes it was back, hope it leaves some undamaged ones for us. Yesterday my husband saw one scamper up a large Almond tree in order to launch itself into the middle of a tall Cypress close by - they love to eat the cones as I have seen from all the debris they leave behind when doing so. So far they have done no real damage and it is lovely to see them about all the time - just hope they don't breed like rabbits. ???
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Squirrels
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 05:59:15 AM »
Moments ago Helena has just put hazelnuts out for the two red squirrels which frequent the garden of the very basic little French house which we share with Helena's brother. We love their antics and find them such a wonderful change from the beastly grey squirrels that infest England. They do eat what fruit we have (mainly figs), the nuts from our walnut, and the seeds from the cypress, hazel and umbrella pine, but never so much that we don't have some ourselves.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society