Alyogyne

• 14 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Alyogyne
« on: August 17, 2011, 11:09:56 AM »
Last year a vivaio close to me had some Alyogyne for sale amongst their "summer imports" I was struck by the lovely pure mauvy/blue colour of the showy but delicate flowers and decided to buy several although knowing nothing about them. Upon research in my RHS Encyclopedia of Garden Plants I discovered that they are shrubs although the small plants I bought had appeared to be perennials. I put one in a pot in order to be able to protect it in the winter having read that they do not withstand very low temperatures. This plant did survive the winter whilst those in the garden did not but was a poor specimin in the spring. This year though it has grown well in a semi shaded position, watered of course because it is in a pot, and has rewarded me with a succession of beautiful flowers although never more than one or two at a time. I read that it is native to Australia where it grows wild in dry scrub so no doubt some Australian members will find my enthusiasm for this plant strange, might even regard it as a pest!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Alyogyne
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »
I can see why you like it, Carole! Looks like Alyogyne huegelii, do you think?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

julie

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
I agree Alisdair, the flower certainly resembles Alyogyne huegelii.  The leaves can be deeply indented, it is a little difficult from the photo to see, but Carole it is beautiful plant to have in your garden and certainly not a weed or pest here in Australia, in fact I would like to see it used more in gardens.  There are other flower colours you may like to look out for. violet, blue, white and a rose pink. must have good drainage, likes a sunny position but benefits from wind protection perhaps from other plants, trim back after flowering to keep from getting straggly is also beneficial. Hope it grows really well for you.
Member MGS. Garden Designer, Plantaholic!! Live and Garden in the Adelaide Hills area and Adelaide area of South Australia.  Surprisingly different climatic conditions, therefore allowing the cultivation of a range of plants which is most enjoyable.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »
I did not like to identify it as huegelii as that is the only one listed in the RHS encycopedia but thanks for the confirmation. Thanks also Julie for tips on how to keep it healthy. I will look out for more different ones but so often here it is a matter of snapping up what you see when you see it! I am a bit lazy about seeking things out mail order etc - too busy gardenening. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

julie

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:08:54 AM »
There's a very good website which you may like to have a look at which gives some v good information and some lovely photos of Alyogyne sp and lots more.  But don't take time away from gardening, that is far more enjoyable. You can see the website, run by the Australian Native Plants Society, by clicking here.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:25:55 AM by Alisdair »
Member MGS. Garden Designer, Plantaholic!! Live and Garden in the Adelaide Hills area and Adelaide area of South Australia.  Surprisingly different climatic conditions, therefore allowing the cultivation of a range of plants which is most enjoyable.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 08:14:29 AM »
Julie - ANPSA - brilliant web site - thanks everso for mentioning it :)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

pamela

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »
Hello Carole,
I am sure it is Alyogyne huegelii. Sometimes called Australian hibiscus. It is a Malvaceae.  I planted A. hakeifolia (a beautiful fine leaved variety) few years ago which I  am afraid did not survive on my soil.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Alyogyne
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:38:27 AM »
Can anyone help with advice on growing Alyognyne huegellii? The photo is from the MGS garden but after one summer of flowering profusely it gave up and died. As it started to turn up its leaves Sally gave it more water which I fear may have been the mistake. I have one in a pot which hangs on to life without much pleasure and I would much rather plant it out if it could stand the few cold snaps we have in winter.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 10:05:48 AM »
Fleur, I did a posting about Alyogyne earlier in the summer but do not know where it is now!(Not very computer competent) I bought several last year when they appeared in a local nursery amongst the summer "potting plants". They were quite small plants. I did not know what they were at the time but was attracted by the beautiful colour and form of the flowers. I put several into display pots at a garden I where I help with said pots. They did not do too well being in full sunshine and having to cope with erratic watering by the resident handyman! I put two into my garden and these grew and flowered quite well until the real heat set in. Another I put into a pot sitting in a shaded position under our open, but roofed, sitting area and this grew very well and flowered on and off all summer. This one I moved to a protected area for the winter and wrapped in fleece and it survived whilst the others died. In the spring I repotted it and placed it back in its original position and it grew away very strongly and rewarded me with flowers on and off for most of the summer. I have now cut it back and will move it to its winter quarters once the weather turns really cold.
In the pot it gets frequent watering obviously but I feel my success is more due to its cooler position. The foliage is very healthy.
Thanks also Fleur for your tip on marking things "Unread"  -  very helpful for a computer dunce like me!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 04:21:54 PM »
Carole and Fleur, I've merged your today's conversation with Carole's earlier Alyogyne thread.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 10:00:52 AM »
Many thanks, Carole. I'm printing this thread out to pass on to Sally.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 07:25:46 AM »
I realise that I am a few years late in entering this conversation but my plant is situated in a sheltered corner where it gets protection from the worst of the cold winter winds and hot summer sun. It has begun to flower this month as evidenced below.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »
Ooh - that's nice!
Nice one, John.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 06:01:39 PM »
Sadly I lost my one remaining plant in the winter2013/2014 even though it was not a particularly hard one. Have never seen them offered since but shall certainly have another go if ever they do appear again.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Alyogyne huegelii
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 04:30:24 AM »
This montrous plant of Alyogyne huegelii is the re-growth after the original plant was cut to the ground to allow the installation of the water-tank about 10 years ago. It has been more vigorous than the white form or any of the other selections for us, but I am thinking we should try them again ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!