Gallipoli

• 3 Replies

Caroline

Gallipoli
« on: May 25, 2015, 03:01:26 AM »
I wouldn't exactly describe the Gallipoli peninsula as "a place to visit", except for those like myself with a particular interest in the disastrous 1915 attempt to control the Dardanelles.  Be that as it may, last month I was one of 10,000 Australasians who sat up all night at Anzac Cove, waiting for the dawn and thinking of our forefathers who came ashore 100 years ago.  I was lucky enough to spend several days on the peninsula, visiting the battlefields and the cemeteries, most of them hacked into the appalling terrain where both Turks and Anzacs died in their thousands.  As always, the Commonwealth War Graves commission does a great job maintaining the cemeteries; the first photo is of irises in the cemetery on the beach at Anzac Cove.
I had not appreciated that beyond the steep cliffs and rough ground lies the Maidos plain, still farmland today, with fields of rapeseed, olive groves and fruit trees.  Shepherds graze their sheep with dogs keeping a close eye on them.  The second photo is of a Judas tree Cercis siliquastrum  on the road to Anzac Cove, while the olive tree is silhouetted against the sky at the temple of Apollo at Assos, where we stayed.
And finally, in Istanbul it was tulip time - they were everywhere.  Not sure however that I can forgive the combination of pink peonies  and scarlet tulips in the Topkapi palace gardens, even if the tulips were lily-flowered.  The peonies however were fabulous - not something I can grow here, as we don't get the winter chilling.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Gallipoli
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
I thought you might be interested to know Caroline that I have just finished a course from the Monash University in Australia about WW1. It was entitled 'A History  in 100 Stories'  and was, of course, about the Australian participation in the Great War. The Gallipoli campaign featured strongly and it was fascinating to hear about things from a different perspective. I would imagine the gathering on the beach was a very moving occasion.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Caroline

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:16:01 AM »
Thanks Umbrian - I had a quick squiz at the course summary and it looked really interesting. In my family's case, we have my grandfather's letters, including his account of leading one of the last parties to leave the Gallipoli heights.  At Anzac Cove, we had stuff projected on to big screens to help us through a long night, including historical footage, interviews with Anzac veterans and historians, and military bands playing.  For me the most poignant moment came just at dawn, when a naval convoy in perfect formation appeared out of the gloom heading for the beach.  It was led by a Turkish warship, but included NZ, Australian, British and French ships.

All a bit far from mediterranean gardening but I'm sure other contributors will forgive me!
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:15:45 AM »
Caroline, I think we're all very glad that you've let us have a glimpse through your eyes of what was obviously a really moving commemoration. Thank you very much!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society