This year's seeds

• 4 Replies

John J

This year's seeds
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:09:36 AM »
The following are a couple of the results of my wife's seed sowing efforts this year. I'm posting it on her behalf as it is easier to prepare the photos on my computer than on her iPad.
Linum 'Bright Eyes' and Ipomoea 'Scarlet O'Hara'.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Daisy

Re: This year's seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:53:45 AM »
I like the Linum Bright Eyes. It would be interesting to know if it reseeds itself. Will you be leaving it to see if it does?
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Charithea

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 09:31:19 AM »
Daisy, I have sown the Linum Bright Eyes for the first time  this Spring, after seen Fermi's wonderful photos. I was encouraged to try seeds again so ordered many packets from Chiltern's. I grew some of tha Linum in the ground under the bitter orange tree and some in a pot to ensure positive results. The ones in the ground are doing really well. Constant flowering. They seem to take the heat really well. I plan to collect the seeds and save them for tha Autumn. I have found seeds sown in Autumn do better here. As for the other seeds I had success with the Nigellas and the Ipomoeas. One salvia did me proud. Everyone of the seeds germinated and are now flowering. This is the Salvia horminum, Pink Sunday. I have 3 seedling of Salvia patens Blu Angel, a few of salvia farinacea Evolution and 3 tiny but tough looking seedling of Salvia nemerosa Rosenwein. The last 2 took their time to germinate. I had almost given up.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:04:46 PM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Daisy

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 07:40:50 AM »
I agree with you that autumn sown seeds do much better. Although for some reason, my Cosmos White Sensation, which I sowed last autumn, haven't shown up at all. Don't know why.
I have looked on Chiltern's web site and seen your Salvias. I think this autumn, I will have to try a few too. They all look good.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

John J

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 10:47:39 AM »
My wife has requested that I post this photo of a Rudbeckia as it is the first one that she has succeeded in growing to flowering after several failed attempts.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)