Long-horned beetle - Morimus asper (s. M. funereus)

• 4 Replies

JTh

• Email
Long-horned beetle - Morimus asper (s. M. funereus)
« on: May 06, 2015, 09:22:59 AM »
I have never seen such a big beetle before, it was nearly 4 cm long, with antennas as long as the body. It turned up on our terrace while we were enjoying our breakfast, which is surprising, since it supposedly is a night-active beetle; maybe it had had a late night. It is a protected species, listed in EU’s Habitats Directive, so I’m glad to see we have enough forests and rotten wood around here to support it.

P5020795 Long-horned beetle - Morimus asper/funereus.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr

P5020804 P5020795 Long-horned beetle - Morimus asper/funereus.jpg.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr

According to this source: http://lifemipp.eu/mipp/new/card.jsp;jsessionid=FB3DD549B0320626AC17BE3E8106EF00?id=5, the taxonomy of the genus Morimus has recently been redefined. Until recently it was thought to consists of five species, one of them was Morimus funereus. A new genetic study showed that all members of this genus probably belong to one, morphologically and genetically variable species, named Morimus asper.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Long-horned beetle - Morimus asper (s. M. funereus)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:20:29 AM »
Wonderful second 'photo Jorun - so often you do not really see the face of insects and they have such character.
An aside - when sitting outside early the other morning a baby squirrel came exploring-he did not notice me and I enjoyed watching him scamper about. I think we have a family living in the garden judging from the number of Cyprus cones I find half eaten.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:59:17 AM »
What a beauty and you had your camera at the ready.
Great
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 10:41:42 AM »
Thank you, Carole and Hillary. The beetle must like it here, it was back for breakfast again yesterday morning. My camera is never far away.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:37:32 AM »
Somehow I missed seeing these two wonderful photos back in May - what a character, Jorun!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society