NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is 6

• 7 Replies

John

NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is 6
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:53:02 AM »
Sorry last one rather hard. Try this one.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:51:00 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Guess what this is 6
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:21:27 AM »
John, since you forgot to exclude me on this one, i would say Helicodiceros muscivorus ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:17:52 PM by Alisdair »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
If it is the right answer, then I saw that somebody described the flower of that plant like this:'The open flower resembles the backside of a flatulent pig...in image and in fragrance. If you grow this, it's best not to mention it on your eHarmony profile'
I thought it looked  like a pink hedgehog.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:47:34 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »
Well I should have banned Oron from this one too but does this mean a permanent ban. Perhaps I should stick to dicots! Yes it is.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:58:23 PM »
Oops I was going to attach a picture.
John

julie

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 02:14:01 AM »
John is it the Dragon Arum?  The flies look as if they are enjoying themselves.
Member MGS. Garden Designer, Plantaholic!! Live and Garden in the Adelaide Hills area and Adelaide area of South Australia.  Surprisingly different climatic conditions, therefore allowing the cultivation of a range of plants which is most enjoyable.

John

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »
The Dragon Arum is Dracunculus vulgaris but this is the problem with common names anyone can apply it to any other plant they like. Helicodiceros is a close relative of Dracunculus and is sometimes included in the genus Dracunculus but it has twice the number of chromosomes.
John

julie

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 12:21:39 PM »
Thank you John. I thought it was possibly Dracunculus vulgaris, however your comment sent me off to investigate further, and I now will have to change my mind and say it is Helicodiceros.  I see the spadix is hairy and the leaf is different, although there are a few leaves in the photo.  I'm not very familiar with this bulb but have enjoyed the research. Thank you.
Member MGS. Garden Designer, Plantaholic!! Live and Garden in the Adelaide Hills area and Adelaide area of South Australia.  Surprisingly different climatic conditions, therefore allowing the cultivation of a range of plants which is most enjoyable.