After the fire

• 0 Replies

JTh

• Email
After the fire
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:57:16 AM »
There was a fire next to our house in July nearly three years ago, around 3000-4000 m2 burnt down completely, it was an unbuilt area with some pine trees and a lot of pournari. Fortunately, the fire brigade was here within 10-15 minutes with several fire engines and the fire was put out quickly. It was a frightening experience, but we were very lucky, it was stopped less than 50 m from our house. Today the pines are gone, but I am surprised to see how quickly the land has been almost complete covered with cistuses, mainly Cistus monspeliensis and C. salviifolius, several of them are already in bloom now, I didn’t know they were such pioneer plants. I suppose the roots were not completely destroyed by the heat, but there must have been a lot of seeds which benefitted from the fire, there are cistus seedlings everywhere.

From July 2012

_DSC4997Brann
by JorunT, on Flickr

Today, April 2015

P4210426 After the fire.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:21:58 PM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.