What is this 77? Now solved!

• 6 Replies

John J

What is this 77? Now solved!
« on: May 26, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »
While going through my photos from northern Greece I came across this one that I thought might be of interest.
Any takers for the name? Of the plant, not the beetle.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:20:26 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
Re: What is this 77?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:10:43 PM »
Hm, looks like a cross between Allium and Bellevalia
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:37:09 AM »
Even though the 2 you mention are distantly related to each other I think any connection to the subject would be very loose, Jorun.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:30:23 AM »
Of course, I know, that's why I can't find out what it is.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:48:18 PM »
Oh dear! I didn't think this plant would cause so much trouble and ......! :(

Alice

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 05:01:26 PM »
Going purely on your clues, John: Loosestrife.
Lysimachia atropurpurea?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 06:05:44 PM »
Should have known I couldn't slip anything past you, Alice. Chris Gardner, our botanist guide, pointed out a whole swathe of these beautiful plants by the side of the road.