What is this 76? Now Solved!

• 10 Replies

John J

What is this 76? Now Solved!
« on: April 13, 2015, 07:55:46 AM »
As Umbrian's puzzle picture seems to be causing a lot of head scratching I thought I'd give you something a bit easier so that you don't get disheartened.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:19:14 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

Re: What is this 76?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »
Plukenetia volubilis seed capsule?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:43:27 AM »
Gosh, Alice, I certainly had to look that one up!! My plant is endemic to a different continent although it has become naturalised in a couple of others and I got it from much closer to home.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 11:11:10 AM »
One never knows with your exotics, John!
Nymania capensis?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 11:53:01 AM »
Alice, you are really bringing out the unusual in the exotic line. Actually you are quite close in one respect and the place I got my plant is closer to your home than mine.

John J

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 04:50:47 AM »
This one seems to have stalled rather, perhaps it needs a bit of a sweetener to get things buzzing again.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 07:16:11 AM »
Your clues are going round and round in my head John but no suggestions forthcoming ........something major rather than minor and beloved by the bees for its nectar?
(Hope by attempts at italics worked - still struggling there as well!)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 08:57:26 AM »
Halfway there, Carole, but the association with our striped friends may be from a slightly different angle.

Alice

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »
Melianthus major?

John J

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »
Alice, I should have guessed that you'd be the one to get it right!
I acquired my plant from Sparoza, hence the closer to your home than mine.
The scientific name derives from the Greek meli honey and anthos flower, hence the common name of Honeybush and the clues about sweetener and bees, of course.
The original photo is of a seed pod.

Alice

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 06:53:11 PM »
That was a really tricky photo, John!