Centaurium maritimum

• 2 Replies

JTh

• Email
Centaurium maritimum
« on: May 13, 2015, 05:55:07 PM »
I saw this little plant for the first time this year, it was growing on the dirt road just outside our house in Halkidiki. It was a beautiful little plant with nice, star-shaped yellow gentian-like flowers, it is annual or biennial. Not very big, but I wouldn’t mind having it in my flowerbeds. The plant is salt-tolerant, so it should be suitable in areas near the sea, like ours. I hope I can find some seeds when I go back in a  few weeks’ time.

P5090895-Edit Centaurium maritimum.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

P5090900-Edit Centaurium maritimum.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Centaurium maritimum
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 05:16:57 PM »
Lovely pictures, Jorun, very three-dimensional.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Re: Centaurium maritimum
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:51:35 PM »
Thank you, Alisdair. I'm pleased to see that even the small micro 4/3 camera can produce a pleasantly blurred background.
I think the plant is garden-worthy.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.