Nigella arvensis

• 3 Replies

John J

Nigella arvensis
« on: April 18, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
Last year we acquired some seeds from the MGS garden Sparoza and these came up this year.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Daisy

Re: Nigella arvensis
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 03:28:06 AM »
John J those are lovely. I have only got the common Nigella damascena in my garden. Every year they reseed and are very welcome.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
I am lucky enough to have what I regard  as the "wild" Nigella in the garden. I was worried I might lose it after introducing Nigella damascenabut fortunately this has not happened and they are well apart. I really much prefer the "wild" one
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 08:02:08 AM »
I believe this is a Nigella damascena 'Double White'.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)