Beetle ID'd by Miriam as Oxythyrea funesta

• 3 Replies

John J

Beetle ID'd by Miriam as Oxythyrea funesta
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:36:14 AM »
Anyone recognise the pollen coated beetles on the Iris, I can't recall having seen them before. As can be seen from the water droplets we're still experiencing very unseasonal weather, heavy rain again last night, and cold!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:03:03 PM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Miriam

Re: Beetle id
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »
Looks like Oxythyrea funesta.
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

John J

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »
Thanks for that, Miriam, I think you have it spot on. Now that I have looked them up I shall go out immediately and try to find them and dispose of them as they are apparently harmful not only to ornamentals but also fruit trees, and as the irises in question are situated close to our fruit tree area.....!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 04:13:05 PM »
Found and dispatched, no others seen today so, hopefully, they were a couple of loners who found their way in somehow and fingers crossed we get no more!