Olive disease/canker?

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Olive disease/canker?
« on: April 06, 2015, 03:52:44 PM »
Can anyone identify this problem occurring on a couple of trees in a friend's garden. The 'photo shows an abnormal, canker like growth on an old pruning wound on the trunk of the tree but smaller, smoother eruptions are beginning on younger branches at intersections mainly. The trees affected do not appear as healthy as the others around them......
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Olive disease/canker?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 09:20:33 PM »
Obviously not if I forget to post the 'photo!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 10:34:38 AM »
Could it be olive knots caused by the bacterium Pseudomonas savastanoi?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:41:21 PM »
Thanks Jorun - think you are right after googling and getting more info that I have passed on.
Wonderful Forum this. :)