Cyrtanthus elatus

• 3 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Cyrtanthus elatus
« on: April 04, 2015, 07:28:12 PM »
Does anybody grow this in conditions similar to mine? That is, hot summers and mild springs and autumns with temperatures occasionally down to 0°c in January. I have one bulb in a pot which I keep moist. It produced flowers about 3 years ago. It has produced a series of little bulblets but they haven't really developed and only a couple have survived. I suspect that it may be in too much shade but on my balcony I either have relatively deep shade or full sun. Should I try full morning sun followed by afternoon shade? I know that it has a reputation for being a sporadic flowerer but mine doesn't even produce many leaves.

Any advice gratefully received.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Trevor Australis

Re: Cyrtanthus elatus
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:05:19 AM »
I have both red and yellow forms and grow them in pots that stand in almost full sun, and always in the weather. I do not disturb them so the clumps are well packed in the pots. In fact the red clump has cracked its pot and now stands, undisturbed, in another pot. I feed them throughout the growing season. We get frosts too, but no freezes. The yellow is less vigorous but o/wise both flower quite well.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:33:41 AM »
Thanks for the useful info Trevor. I will get them into full sun for at least the mornings and see how they go on from there. Hope I might have some photos of the flowers to put on the forum this year.  :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:10:51 AM »
I have found another supplier of Cyrtanthus elatus in Italy and I am hoping to get some bulbs at the Landriana plant fair at the end of April. In the meantime my Cyrtanthus mackenii, which I believe to be var cooperi, have flowered. They have flowered before the orange C mackenii hybrid I have which was a point made back in 2011 by Heinie