Dolichandra unguis-cati

• 4 Replies

Alice

Dolichandra unguis-cati
« on: March 16, 2015, 03:58:13 PM »
I have a few small plants of Dolichandra unguis-cati (Macfadyena unguis-cati), grown from seed, which are destined for the base of a west-facing wall in our garden on the very dry Greek island of Paros. The hope is that they will grow abundantly and cover the wall in no time. However, I have read some horror stories about this plant producing tubers 40-50 cm long and becoming almost impossible to eradicate. Is this a good climber for the conditions?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Caroline

Re: Dolichandra unguis-cati
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 02:23:22 AM »
Hi Alice - I finally tracked down a reference to this climber in one of my NZ reference books.  It says "it is not wise to grow [cat's claw] in very warm humid areas near native bush (=forest) as it has become a nuisance in some countries, colonising ruthlessly with its strong, claw-like tendrils...on hot dry banks cat's claw excels."  So it sounds as if you should be OK given your conditions  - no guarantees of course! :)

Caroline
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Alice

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:12:24 PM »
Thank you, Caroline.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:04:13 AM »
You may have found about the only place where this plant would be bearable - if it decides to grow. Growing up the house wall at Sparoza it looked lovely in flower but then burrowed its way under the tiles and was a devil to remove. To stop it looking scruffy Sally would undertake the huge job of cutting it down every couple of years  but it was always sending out long shoots into the plants in the front of the bed spoiling the overall appearance so she decided to dig it up. It kept coming back and I'm still not sure if it's gone. I love the flowers so I chose a place to plant it away from the house where it didn't get direct water - there it never dies but never grows. Another place where it gets water it is out of control rooting among rosemaries and being really annoying.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alice

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »
Thank you, Fleur.
On balance, it does not appear to be a good choice. Perhaps I will try one seedling and watch it like a hawk.